Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideas for my 2012 Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 10:00 AM
afrey1967
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for my 2012 Heritage

Hi, new to the forum and riding. I recently picked up a Big Blue Pearl 2012 Heritage and am looking for pointers on upgrades. I was originally looking for a Blue Deluxe due to the lower seat height (I'm 5'8") then the local dealer took in the Heritage with under 900 miles on it and made me a deal I couldn't walk away from.
Problems I'm having are, after about a 1/2 hour riding my shoulders and upper back are killing me. I have pulled the bars back about 2-3" with little effect. I am going to change out the bars down the road for 1 1/4" bars. I like the 12" apes, but rather be comfortable, ie fit and function first, style second. The dealer suggested a riders back rest and new seat. I actually like the studded seat. The Mustang studded seat with back rest felt too wide, I did try one.
The other question is suspension to lower the ride height. Shotguns are not in the budget! I was leaning towards progressive monotube for the front and 422's (not RAP) for the rear. Any thoughts on that? If I lower the rear do I have to lower the front?
As it sits now I can flat foot at a stop, but my left leg is tight against the primary and right leg gets close to the exhaust.
Speaking of exhaust, any thoughts on either the freedom performance racing true duals or the Samson 4" duals? I like the true dual look, but want more of a low tone growl similar to what flowmaster mufflers give a 5.0 mustang if anyone knows what I mean. The V&H true duals that I have heard were higher pitched like drag pipes.
Thanks for any help/pointers

Old 09-14-2013, 07:12 PM
1980FLHShovel
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Samson 4" true duals on mine. When I first put them on the bike was so quite I could hardly hear it running. Pulled out the baffles and cut over half of them off. Sounds good now but not the deep rumble you might be looking for. It cetrainly isn't the nice deep rumble I get out of my Shovel!!!!

Old 09-14-2013, 08:17 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Wild 1 sells spacers that will add 2" of height to the handlebars for under $50. I'd start there before shelling out money for new bars. There are also risers available, but depending on how much pullback and height you go for you might have to switch out cables.

For seats, you might take a look at the Harley reach seats that will bring you lower and closer to the bars. Saddlemen and Corbin also make seats that brings you lower and closer.

For exhaust, go to a local bike night and listen to as many different exhausts as you can. Computer soundbites and advice from others can't beat hearing the exhaust in person.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:17 AM
uncalltheway
6th Gear
Default Ideas

1967, I had same problem with neck & back problems... I have a 2012 Heritage Big Blue Pearl also bought new. I bought a Harley Signature Series Studded seat. It has an adjustable backrest & man what a difference long rides are now. No back or neck problems!! I also had Memory foam put in my seat & a little of the curve of the seat cut down & really helped. Google Mean City Seats in Maiden, NC. They do a great job! I also had LED head light & passing lamps installed & wow what a difference night riding is now. Hope this helps.... Sully. I also have the Vance & Hines Big Shot Staggered with SE Pro race tuner & runs & sounds GREAT?

Last edited by uncalltheway; 09-15-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:38 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Some times back pain is nothing more than Ur body getting used to the new bike, might give her a little more time before U start changing out things.
It took me several weeks of riding to get my back and hip muscles to where I could ride without any pain when I got our Heritage back in 07,

Everyone is different, but the Stock Heritage seat is by far for me the best seat I've ever had on any of the 9 different bikes I've owned, including two custom seats I had made, Really, give the stock seat some more time before spending big$$$ on another seat.

The Heritage ride is IMO the best ride of all Softails, changing the ride height will make the ride suffer if its done with just lowering bolts, U have to have the shock travel to keep the good ride.

Pipes are too personal. U'll need to listen to them to find out what U want in sound and looks.. Visit places where a lot of bikes are, like Ur dealer on the weekends, or shows, anywhere where bikes gather to learn more.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:45 AM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

You can get an aftermarket backrest for about 100 bucks; I have the one from Grasshopper on my '11 Heritage...works just fine.
You might check out American Custom Exhaust. They put removable baffles in your mufflers, and they can be switched out as needed to change the tone of your exhaust. Less expensive alternative to a complete system, and they get good reviews.
The bars on your Heritage should already be 12" apes I believe, mine were. As suggested, the risers previously mentioned; or the pullback risers from a Deluxe may be helpful. No cable changes needed, although you may have to reroute one or remove a clamp.
I would suggest investing in an engine guard. You'll thank me later the first time you drop it over on it's side...
Enjoy the ride, and post pics when you can.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:04 AM
afrey1967
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies.
First thing I picked up was the engine guard! lol
As for the seat, I just believe it's a bit too wide for my inseam. The dealer has a demo signature seat with back rest that I'm going to put on next weekend and ride around, see if it helps. I've read some good things about Mean City.
I may try out a pull back riser.
For ride height/suspension. I would change out the whole shock, the lowering bolt may work but I think I would rather get a better shock at the same time.
I did score a complete chrome front end minus axle caps off ebay for 132 bucks. I know I only need the lowers, but for $132 I figured what the hell.
I agree on the exhaust, I do need to get out and hear them myself. I may not even end up with tru duals after hearing them.
Thanks again for all the input. Without these forums I think my wallet would be emptier than it already is!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:37 PM
brassspike
Stage III

I saw a post on this board about grasshopper. They had a backrest that would fit my streetglide. Since Harley had nothing and people gave this company good reviews, I contacted them and bought one. The backrest worked reasonably good for the cost. It would bend if I leaned back too much but I could work with that. The big problem was that it was padded on the back and the front and that took too much room from the wife. Also the shape of the backrest interfered with her legs. I contacted them and they said "No problem" and said that they would take care of me because they wanted a satisfied customer. After a while I contacted them to see how things were coming. I was told that they almost had it ready. That was the last I heard from them. Emails were not returned. I even went to their website and filled out a request. No joy.
I have no clue what happened but I had made a promise to give them feedback on, what started to be, great customer service. Unfortunately, I have to report just the opposite.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

16 inch apes, saddlemen tour classic with adjustable backrest, 36 inch samson, and 100 foot pounds of torque at the rear wheel. The saddlemen is very comfortabl especially the backrest and it's very narrow at the crotch. I did 10 hours in one day on the saddlemen. Samson exhaust are the best looking and best sounding pipes I have ever had and they make pretty good power and torque.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Corbin seats are great, and you can get one for the Heritage that has a removable rider backrest. That being said, the more you ride it the stronger the muscles that hold your body upright will get, and then less painful. Also you can easily lower the rear a bit, and not need to mess with the front.

Quick Reply: Ideas for my 2012 Heritage