Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil disapear from oil tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 04:24 PM
marekm1234
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil disapear from oil tank

2010 Softail Heritage FLSTC which not run about 6 months. I check the oil level, oil tank was empty. I suppose that there is very low oil level. Then I replace oil filter with new one and add 3l of 20W50 H-D oil and add gasoline. Try to start up engine. It start without any problem with about 1300 rpm at the beginning. Oil check lamp pulse few times until filter is filled and off. After 10-15 seconds oil flew by oil tank infusion. I stopped engine immediatly after 3-4 second oil check lamp turns on, normally because oil has low temperature. Oil level is too high close to infusion beginning. Then I removed 1l of oil from tank. Oil level was at the middle of dipstick. After 15 minutes I start engine once again and observe oil level trough oil tank infusion. After few second oil level started to rise and about 30 second from engine start oil once again flew from oil tank. I stopped engine, next 1l of oil was remove. Oil level check gives correct result. Oil cold - oil level a little over lower level on the dipstick. Start engine next time. Everything looks normally. Oil check lamp turns off, no smoke from pipes, no oil at air filter, but I stopped engine and try to find description of my situation to prevent engine damage. I found information that if bike has been sitting for a while, oil is all in the crankcase and that is a common problem with Harley's that have the tank located higher than the engine. The oil seeps past the check valve in the oil pump. This description could fit my case, but in my second H-D Softail FLSTCI from 2005 which I have since 3 years I has never had similar situation with oil or I never check oil level after 2-3 weeks of stopping. Could You comment on the situation I describe and send me opinion whats happened. What should I check in the engine? How to check the engine lubrication is correct? If nothing bad happens to the engine?

Marek

Old 11-02-2013, 08:31 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Welcome to the Forum from Colorado!
What happened is the oil that was originally in the tank drained, "sumped" into the crankcase from sitting for a very long time. So when you filled the tank with fresh oil and started the engine the oil that had drained into the crankcase filled the oil tank which already had oil in it and all the extra oil blew the oil filler cap out of the neck. Bottom line is there is too much oil in the system. Drain what you have left in the tank and start the engine. The tank should refill with the oil that is in the crankcase. Then do your oil change as normal.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:05 AM
marekm1234
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for Your quick response and help what happened. This calmed me and gave assurance that the engine nothing bad happened.
Best regards,
Marek