Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WorksPerformance Springer Dampener Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Prw3
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default WorksPerformance Springer Dampener Review

Just wanted to share my experiences since installing a works performance shock/dampener on my 2010 Crossbones springer front end.

Having been a fan of the springer front end look for as long as I could remember I wasent ignorant of the obvious draw backs when compared to a modern telescopic or inverted fort package. There is obvious draw backs when you compare a give and take spring setup driven by a cantilever rocker at the axle versus the latter. This was never more apparent then when I purchased my basket case 2010 crossbones and rode on anything other then a smooth road.
The front end would dive when braking and seldom would recover with just about every bump or pothole in the road, lean the bike deep into a fast pace left right corner section….forget about it. This was even more an issue when I upgraded to a 21" front wheel, not wanting to reduce the already challenged springer spring setup with a shorter version I opted for lowering rockers to keep the ride hieght,rake and trail in check. But once again the obvious short coming were even more apparent with a slightly heavier front wheel, at first I thought my HD factory front shock was shot in its short 4700 mile life I replaced it with no improvement. The one thing obvious is the factory shock is nothing more then a oil filled dampener, no gas filled assistance at all…this is obviously a 1940's technology that hasn't improved much. I discovered the "Works Performance" shock/dampener on this forum and after a few months of justifying the $250 cost I pulled the trigger and ordered one, I was actually considering changing the front end to a more modern fork just because the ride was that bad…especially after installing the plush ride Shotgun shocks provide in the rear. The difference now is AMAZING…what a difference a nitrogen/oil filled shock can make. The bike is 100% more stable and offers a ride quality rival of my 06 RK…no chit. If your at all frustrated with your springer front end…..spend the money…its money well spent and the shock is even serviceably for long life. I opted for the black dampener but it is also available in chrome and works on all springer years.

Attached Thumbnails WorksPerformance Springer Dampener Review-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Prw3; 01-14-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:36 PM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Thanks for the info!

Old 01-14-2014, 03:07 PM
dcdr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is great, thanks!

Old 01-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default shocking

Another thanks here. I'm a fan of the springer and enjoy the ride on my 08 crossbones but was reading all that I could find to improve its recovery on rough roads. Not a lot of variety I found with the Works Perfomance and Fornales being about all I could find and no reviews to speak of. Now I have an answer and will give the Works a try cause it's the lower price of the two and is Made in this country I think.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:32 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run one on mine as well. Great ride, plus you can get it in black

Old 01-16-2014, 11:08 PM
acman308
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good to see some positive comments on this. I found them when looking for a black shock.

The only other review i saw wasn't really positive the guy said he couldn't tell any difference in ride.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:14 AM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't noticed any of those negatives on my 2011 Crossbones like you guys are experiencing. I love the feel of the stock forks, but, if I begin seeing the same things, then I'll certainly consider this replacement.