Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info about Teardrop Tool Box Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 01:51 PM
patharley
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Info about Teardrop Tool Box Kit

Can I put a tool box on my fatboy if I have passenger floorboard ?

Old 02-23-2014, 03:48 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Yes. The footboard mount pushes it out far enough to clear the toolbox.

Sorry I don't have a close-up of the right side mount. Be aware that if you have true dual crossovers, you cannot mount the LEFT side toolbox.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:21 PM
patharley
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Yes. The footboard mount pushes it out far enough to clear the toolbox.

Sorry I don't have a close-up of the right side mount. Be aware that if you have true dual crossovers, you cannot mount the LEFT side toolbox.
Ok thanks. And I have true dual so I going to get the right side.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:53 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What does the toolbox mount to? Now im curious if I could mount one on my softail.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:59 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I THINK there are extensions for those, isn't there? I didn't buy my bike new so I don't know if those were on there new or if the guy I bought the bike from put them on. I had taken them off and sent out to be chromed so I am not 100% but check it out 1st. I also have the Samsons. Ghoticov, again I am not 100% sure but I think you can put one on your bike so check that 1st too, left or right side. I have the right side and I had the inside of it lined with auto truck felt for show and so that crap in there won't rattle around going down the road.

EDIT: Hmmm, I just noticed I have an old picture up and the tool box doesn't show on my bike in this picture, Sorry Dude.

Last edited by tbonetony06; 02-23-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:05 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys,

The metal tool box can in-fact be mounted on the left side with Dual Exhaust but spacers will be required. Here are a few photos. Sorry no close-ups. I cut and inserted stainless steel tubing between the box and mounting plate and utilized long bolts.

Attached Thumbnails Info about Teardrop Tool Box Kit-img_1162.jpg   Info about Teardrop Tool Box Kit-img_1177.jpg   Info about Teardrop Tool Box Kit-img_1297.jpg  
Old 02-23-2014, 06:10 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought so!!!

Old 02-23-2014, 06:30 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by olongapo1
Guys,

The metal tool box can in-fact be mounted on the left side with Dual Exhaust but spacers will be required. Here are a few photos. Sorry no close-ups. I cut and inserted stainless steel tubing between the box and mounting plate and utilized long bolts.

But the passenger peg has to be sacrificed right? (although in your case it doesn't matter with the solo set up)

I broke down and bought a RH side box this year...just seams real practical for keys wallet and phone...had a small bag but I think the bike looks cleaner without any bags at all.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:58 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
What does the toolbox mount to? Now im curious if I could mount one on my softail.
Sure you can.

the top of the mount goes under the fender strut cover and the bottom goes to the footpeg mounting hole and you use an extension to move the passenger footpeg out the clear the box. I have them on both sides- you can see the folded footpeg under the box in the pic below.

I have a Kahtadin nylon tool bag that fits in mine and holds every tool I need. I keep the left side one empty in case I need to lock my gun in it somewhere.

Last edited by brenn; 02-23-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
The toolbox bracket mounts to the two fender rail bolts that sit below the seat and the footpeg bolt. The toolbox itself screws to the bracket.

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
... I had the inside of it lined with auto truck felt for show and so that crap in there won't rattle around going down the road...
Certainly, without any type of liner everything will rattle around the inside of the toolbox. I considered having it lined like you, Tony, but went with the HD toolbox liner instead. To me, the HD liner is more convenient because it keeps everything from rattling around and I can carry all the contents of the toolbox with me.

HD Toolbox Liner

Originally Posted by olongapo1
Guys,

Good point. I should have said that the left toobox couldn't be mounted without modifications.

Originally Posted by Motown Strag
But the passenger peg has to be sacrificed right?...
Not without a footpeg extension

Last edited by Bone Doc; 02-23-2014 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Info about Teardrop Tool Box Kit