Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shotgun Shock install on Breakout

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 01:10 AM
J.D.1
Former Sponsor
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Holes on 2007 are already tapped

Originally Posted by Harley_Charley
Pretty sure if you have ABS you have to drill new holes elsewhere since the spot the compressor normally goes can't due to the ABS.
2000 to 2006 only require tapping, all 2007 up no modification needed.

The following users liked this post:
dwayne13 (04-24-2016)
Old 03-15-2014, 07:25 AM
Yo Nadz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey JD, I've read in the past some stuff about group buys. Any chance of a deal like that again??

Old 03-15-2014, 08:12 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Something that no one tells you, and most seem to not know is that there is a line you should plug also.
The 2 lines that you will find under there are so the fuel tank vapors will be sent back into the intake stream. One line goes to the fuel tank. It runs up under the tank all the way to the neck of the bike, and then up and under the chrome cover on top of the tank. Leave this line attached to the fuel tank and just leave it open somewhere down low on the bike. This is just a vent, older bikes, dirt bike, lawnmowers, everything with a fuel tank has one. It is fine to leave open.

The other line goes to the throttle body behind your air filter. Follow this line up and remove it completely. It will pull right off the throttle body port. Now put a vacuum cap on that port on the throttle body. This is an open vacuum leak, and is bad for your engine as it is a source of unfiltered air.

People may tell you to not worry about that and leave both lines open under the bike. This is wrong, don't do it. Plug the line.

Another thing is with other bikes you can remove the plastic guard between the rear tire and the swingarm without removing the tire from the bike. On the Breakout, I was unable to do this. Someone else may have found a way, but I could not. This makes it a little more difficult to run the wiring and stuff, but it is not detrimental.

Congrats on ordering the ShotgunShock. It really is a great product backed by an even greater team of people. Post up some pics when you get that sucker on.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:43 AM
J.D.1
Former Sponsor
Default Only California bikes have charcoal cannaster lines

Originally Posted by 24v
Something that no one tells you, and most seem to not know is that there is a line you should plug also.
The 2 lines that you will find under there are so the fuel tank vapors will be sent back into the intake stream. One line goes to the fuel tank. It runs up under the tank all the way to the neck of the bike, and then up and under the chrome cover on top of the tank. Leave this line attached to the fuel tank and just leave it open somewhere down low on the bike. This is just a vent, older bikes, dirt bike, lawnmowers, everything with a fuel tank has one. It is fine to leave open.

The other line goes to the throttle body behind your air filter. Follow this line up and remove it completely. It will pull right off the throttle body port. Now put a vacuum cap on that port on the throttle body. This is an open vacuum leak, and is bad for your engine as it is a source of unfiltered air.

People may tell you to not worry about that and leave both lines open under the bike. This is wrong, don't do it. Plug the line.

Another thing is with other bikes you can remove the plastic guard between the rear tire and the swingarm without removing the tire from the bike. On the Breakout, I was unable to do this. Someone else may have found a way, but I could not. This makes it a little more difficult to run the wiring and stuff, but it is not detrimental.

Congrats on ordering the ShotgunShock. It really is a great product backed by an even greater team of people. Post up some pics when you get that sucker on.
Thanks for the compliments and the detailed install tips, the lines you mention that need plugging , only apply to California charcoal cannaster equipted bikes, and even Calif bikes 2011 up don't need to have lines moved because of new style cannaster. It is true that debri deflector can't be removed on breakout with tire on, but I have found that breakout install is easy because of wider frame. The wiring harness for the shotgunshock is easily routed up right frame rail and up through oil tank. HDF member discount price for softail application is still 1250.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:04 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

I have removed those lines down there on both bikes anyways. On my Blackline they already had a hole worn in them from rubbing on the stock shock.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:52 PM
Yo Nadz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sooner came sooner than I thought it would. Ordered the Shotgun from JD this evening.

What kind of vacuum cap will I need to plug that hole on the throttle body if I remove the hose??? I don't know the technical name for it, but I'm assuming this is the oil vapor return line that goes back into the intake to be burned off?? I've got a catch can on my Ram that works great to filter that crap. If I pull the hose off the throttle body. do I just let it hang? Or can it be completely removed??

I've also read that I should change the tranny oil why doing the install? Is this necessary on a brand new bike??

Last edited by Yo Nadz; 03-16-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:13 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yo Nadz
Sooner came sooner than I thought it would. Ordered the Shotgun from JD this evening.

What kind of vacuum cap will I need to plug that hole on the throttle body if I remove the hose??? I don't know the technical name for it, but I'm assuming this is the oil vapor return line that goes back into the intake to be burned off?? I've got a catch can on my Ram that works great to filter that crap. If I pull the hose off the throttle body. do I just let it hang? Or can it be completely removed??

I've also read that I should change the tranny oil why doing the install? Is this necessary on a brand new bike??
Go to Autozone and look for rubber caps, they come in a pack with random sizes. It's like $3.00-$5.00 for the package. As for the tranny oil, the reason they encourage it is because the shotgun shocks block access to remove the tranny plug so when it's time to change your oil, you have to remove the bolts and swing the shotgun shocks out of the way. I believe 500 miles and 5000 miles are when the oil is changed on the Breakout so you decide.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:09 AM
J.D.1
Former Sponsor
Default The plugging of line only refers to California bikes

Originally Posted by Yo Nadz

Only California bikes have the charcoal canister,so no lines to disconnect on non calif bikes.,

Old 03-17-2014, 11:14 AM
U4junkie
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may do the shotguns eventually....

1) My bike has ABS so where does the compressor go?

2) is the tranny drain blocked by the stock setup? In other words are the techs at the dealer going to consider it a headache and want to charge more for that service if and when? And yes, I can do the service myself but I was a dumba** and already paid too much for three years worth of HD service.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:17 PM
CultLdr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered today, ty for the HDF price and can't wait to get them on my bike.

Quick Reply: Shotgun Shock install on Breakout