Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shotgun Shock install on Breakout

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Yo Nadz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Won't have a chance to install mine for a while. Hoping you guys document and picture your installs for guys like me!!!!

Old 03-19-2014, 05:57 PM
legacywr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just pulled the trigger!

Old 03-19-2014, 05:59 PM
CultLdr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by legacywr
Just pulled the trigger!
Congrats!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:34 AM
U4junkie
Intermediate

related question.... I know most run shotguns for the ability to slam, lower or have normal ride height. What about ride quality? I do about 50% two up riding with a 125 lb GF. she's a trooper and i know my bike is not the "best" choce for riding tandem. But it's what Ive got. I got her the SD pillion which is a huge improvement. I tried improving the original, it helped but not nearly as effective as the SD. Will the shotguns give more ride quality??

I know it's all related to air pressure, shock valving and spring rate it there remains a coil spring in the system, or is it strictly air and shock valving?

**** EDIT****
I called JD, got all the answers I needed but will share in case it helps someone else out. he has a setup for the BO w ABS, special switch panels, comp goes in frt of shocks tucked up in betweeen and above frame rails.

there is no coil spring and there is no traditional hyd shock valving. It's 100% air ride except u can tweak air pressure on either side of the system for compression and rebound as the volume changes, there is a progressiveness on each side. He has many customers professing ride is vastly improved. I'm convinced enough to buy a set and try it. I'm a little concerned about "lack of hydraulic valving" I race off road, so it's something I've grown fond of, but it's a cruiser, not a sport bike and i'm not trying to soak up woops at 100 on the bike Will report back on percieved ride delta once my GF tells me. she's a scientist who thinks like an engineer.... so it should be some objective input

Last edited by U4junkie; 03-21-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Yo Nadz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does that subdowner passenger seat work with the stock 1 up seat? Any pics with it installed??

Old 03-21-2014, 11:48 AM
U4junkie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yo Nadz
Does that subdowner passenger seat work with the stock 1 up seat? Any pics with it installed??
yes, ive got a couple lousy pics. It's not the best fit, but not bad either. I do have the SD solo seat on order though. I've gotten used to the aesthetics but figured i would try to solo as well. My last bike had a suction cup pillon seat so it never looked "integral" anyway. it's subjective.

I can post pics later or pm me ur number and ill text them to u.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Joe Reefer
Novice

How did the install go? I should be starting on my BO soon.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:46 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Yo Nadz
It does, but it's not nice. The Sundowner Solo seat goes back a tad further, so when you use the original seat with the Sundowner Pillion there's a visible gap. Here's pictures of the combination... Also, here's the Original seat/pillion along side the Sundowner seat/pillion.

Attached Thumbnails Shotgun Shock install on Breakout-img_0799.jpg   Shotgun Shock install on Breakout-img_0801.jpg   Shotgun Shock install on Breakout-img_0791.jpg  
Old 04-06-2014, 07:52 PM
HDbreakout
Intermediate

Had a chance finally to do my install. I can honestly say it really is as easy as everyone says.

Attached Thumbnails Shotgun Shock install on Breakout-image-475092179.jpg   Shotgun Shock install on Breakout-image-3254157717.jpg  
Old 04-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Joe Reefer
Novice

That looks awesome! Was the ABS an issue at all? I should have mine installed by next weekend.

Quick Reply: Shotgun Shock install on Breakout