Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desperate, need help: vibration issues!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 06:48 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Default Desperate, need help: vibration issues!

I have a 2012 Fatboy Lo I bought several months ago with 6,000 miles on it. It had a vibration in 5th and 6th gear. Not godawful, but definitely noticeable. This is only my second Harley and first with the 103 and so I thought it was probably normal. I've ridden it 4,000 miles, not aggressive at all.

I got the bike tuned and the tuner told me I had a vibration issue. I had not mentioned the vibration to him. Then another mechanic, my indie guy, told me the problem was the inner primary bearing.

So I took it to the dealer and - big surprise - their mechanics test rode it and said they "could not duplicate customer's concern."

However, they agreed the inner primary bearing problem need fixing and so they did, and also replaced the compensator sprocket on their own.

I was impressed and ready to toast their good names.

BUT, when I rode the bike home, the vibration was still there. I took it back to my indie guy and said "is this my imagination?" He rode it for 20 minutes and came back and said no, it still vibrates.

So it is not my imagination. I've had two long-time Harley guys both tell me the bike has a vibration issue.

My question to you guys is: Does your softail, especially fatboys and fatboy Lo's, vibrate at higher speeds?

By the way, I have two days left on my warranty. Should I take it back and make an issue of it? I mean, after all when I bought the bike they made a big deal of telling me it was "Harley certified."

Or just live with it, knowing it COULD get worse?

Thanks in advance for your input...

Old 03-27-2014, 06:56 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Do you have stock exhaust or slip ons/exhaust? The B motor does have a "buzz" in it. You can feel it in the right throttle grip and the right floorboard or peg. This is normal and will dissipate with more miles. If you have aftermarket exhaust, you may have to loosen it and neutralize the exhaust at all mounts or connections. Make sure the exhaust shields are tight and not touching motor or foot area.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 PM
tmilo1000
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd take it to a different dealer and get their opinion. Does it vibrate only at highway speed, a certain RPM range, or is it all the time? Could the counterbalance be off a little?

Old 03-27-2014, 07:01 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

Do you check your tire pressure regularly?
My uneducated guess is the front tire is cupped or out of balance.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:08 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it could be a number of things start with belt tension then tire pressure check tires and wheel bearings if none of those check compression make sure both cylinders are within 5 psi of each other and the list goes on and on these you can do on your own

Old 03-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Take it back to the dealer just to so that your complaint is logged before the warranty expired.

My Heritage also has a slight vibration at hwy speeds.
I just had a new front tire installed and put on a Klock Werks flare windshield on it and it seem to help but I haven't ridden 2-up yet and that will be the test.

My next step is shotgun shocks.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:36 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 1,107 Posts

I have V&H staggered exhausts, SE heavy breather and Andrews 48 cams. But the vibration was there BEFORE I added these. You feel the vibration in both floorboards, but not in the grips at all.

It vibrates only slightly in 3rd and 4th, but really vibrates at 5th and 6th, especially 6th from 2500 rpm on up. The higher the RPM, the more the vibration…

I check my tire pressure religiously.

I checked the belt tension and it was OK

Old 03-27-2014, 07:53 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you made sure that no part of the exhaust is in contact with the bike, other then the attaching hardware?
Tom

Old 03-27-2014, 10:07 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my bad I guess I should have paid closer attention to what you posted im 98% sure your problem is the same for all 103 B its called harmonics its the engine that's causing your problem and Harleys shty tolerance or your balance shaft gear when the gear is installed on the crank its +1.5 deg -.8 deg if if your on the neg side your good if your on the pos side you will get vibrations around 3800 to 4400 rpms all b motors have this problem the biger the cubes the more vibrations you will feal mostly in your feet a little less on the grips and if the gear slips on the crank it will shake violently ive seen this happen 3 times now

Old 03-27-2014, 11:57 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by tmilo1000
I'd take it to a different dealer and get their opinion. Does it vibrate only at highway speed, a certain RPM range, or is it all the time? Could the counterbalance be off a little?
I was going to mention the counterbalance because mine went out in late December. The faster my speed, the worse the vibration was.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-28-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Desperate, need help: vibration issues!