Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone out there put a Deuce whl & tire on FXST

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 11:33 PM
mffi115
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone out there put a Deuce whl & tire on FXST

If so, can you give me any tips on mounting a deuce rear Wheel and tire on my 2000 FXST?

Old 02-01-2005, 04:36 PM
mffi115
6th Gear
Default RE: Has anyone out there put a Deuce whl & tire on FXST

Come on. Someone's musta done this or got some ideas.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

ORIGINAL: mffi115

Im sorry but I can't help you out on that one but I'm sure someone can, be patient grasshopper , but I did look up the spec's and it seem's that the deuce wheel is 17" so I would think that clearence would be the only issue as long as the spacing is the same.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:01 PM
mffi115
6th Gear

You are soooo correct. Yes, it is 17" and the stock deuce tire is a 160 that's 6 1/2" wide - the FXST rear fender is 7" wide. The center nuts on the struts stick in 3/8". Do the math and there's a clearance problem. I plan to either grind the bolt ends or install short ones that don't stick out on the inside. That's the only clearance problem I can see. It should clear the belt. I've done my homework and have the tire/wheel ready to install but would like any lessons learned from those who have gone before. The HD dealer in Durango, CO had a conversion they had done in the showroom and it looked like that's all they did. I asked a salesman how, but he seemed like a real corporate jerk - told me that it was their "secret" and for me to figure out. I'll post my lessons learned after I do it. Thanks for your input.
ORIGINAL: Tn.Heritage

ORIGINAL: mffi115

Im sorry but I can't help you out on that one but I'm sure someone can, be patient grasshopper , but I did look up the spec's and it seem's that the deuce wheel is 17" so I would think that clearence would be the only issue as long as the spacing is the same.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 337 Posts

Carl, I haven't done it, so I can't offer suggestions, but I would be interested in your progress. What about the belt and brakes? Is 1/2" enough space on the fender? What about splitting the fender and adding a filler strip?

Old 02-02-2005, 09:52 PM
mffi115
6th Gear

Scout,

I think the 1/2" will do. I checked out the one at the dealer real good. You can't just widen the fender 'cause you gotta cut the strut horns off the frame. If you do that, you might as well go to a fat tire kit. I'll keep ya posted. It will be a while before I can get to it, cause the job' got me on the road a lot.

Carl
ORIGINAL: Joe Scout

Carl, I haven't done it, so I can't offer suggestions, but I would be interested in your progress. What about the belt and brakes? Is 1/2" enough space on the fender? What about splitting the fender and adding a filler strip?

Old 02-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 337 Posts

Thanks Carl, I'll look for your posts.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:48 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Well if the bolt's on the inside of the fender is the only problem than you shorten them the frame's are the same aren't they, so you should be able to buy all the stock spacer's for the duece and make it work. Oh and I'd tell that salesman to kiss my butt and I'll go else where to buy my part's from now on, that really tick's me off for them to think there the only dealer around.[:@]

Old 02-03-2005, 07:18 AM
FXST
Cruiser

Would the speedo be out as well??

Old 02-03-2005, 08:30 PM
mffi115
6th Gear

Yeah, the salesman was a real jerk. I was just passing thru Durango so they don't have to worry about my business. BTW, for HD parts I call Chicago HD (888-338-6868) for 20% off catalog prices. For after market I go to www.krooners.com for good deals on other catalog prices. They need the catalog and part#. They're both good to deal with. Sometimes I go to a local independent if his prices beat the above.

The axles, spacers, etc. are all the same part #s.

As far as the speedo, I don't think that it will make much of a difference. I'll check it with my watch and the mileposts - 1 minute = 60 mph. If it's a big diff, I think either you change the speedo gear or you can have the computer recalibrated. I don't know how the '00 and later are set up.

Quick Reply: Has anyone out there put a Deuce whl & tire on FXST