Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley tech. services doesn't know

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Falcon195
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Harley tech. services doesn't know

I am installing a removable sissy bar and Harley led rear turn-signals #67800056 on my 2012 fatboy.

According to the Harley catalog I need to first install the rear turn-signal relocation kit #53959-06 so the side-plates on the sissy bar will fit.
The problem is that the relocation kit has two studs or standoffs that are hollow to allow the wires from the turn-signals to pass through. These passages through the studs are just big enough to allow the two wires from the stock turn-signals to feed through the these studs. Now the new Harley led turns-signals have several wires plus a heavier overall insulation covering these wires.

So now I am suppose to feed these wires and insulation through this small passage in the studs, and let me tell you it ain't going to fit.
So I call Harley and talk to one of the techs. and he said he is sure I can use the led turn-signals and the relocation kit together. And his reasoning is that the catalog (which I also have) doesn't have any stipulations in regard to using these two parts together.

Now maybe it is just me, but when I call tech services it is because I can't find an answer doing my own research using the resources I have available. I tried to explain the dilemma I am having with this situation and why I was having this situation, but all he would say is that the book doesn't say the parts can't be used together.

BTW this is not the first time I have called Harley tech. services and that time I didn't get a proper answer either.
So has any body used these led turn-signals and relocation kit together and how did you do it?

Last edited by Falcon195; 04-08-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Instead of the signal relocation kit, why not just shave down the removable sissy bar plates. Many guys on this forum have done it so that they work with the stock signal mounts. You don't need to remove much, just that little hump. Make it flat like I did to mine and it fits:

Old 04-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Falcon195
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Instead of the signal relocation kit, why not just shave down the removable sissy bar plates. Many guys on this forum have done it so that they work with the stock signal mounts. You don't need to remove much, just that little hump. Make it flat like I did to mine and it fits:

Ya know I did think about trimming the brackets, but I was concerned about the chrome.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Yeah mine was black to begin with and then repainted it with the HD wrinkle black so it matched my fender struts.

I'd bet you could just take it slow so you don't get it too hot and ruin the chrome finish or have it chip away. It's such a small area that it may not be noticeable at all once done.

Sorry I can't help out more and answer your question on how to run those wires through the relo kit, or if there is another work around

Old 04-09-2014, 05:16 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I cut my chrome ones years ago. I used clear paint and painted the edges and they never rusted and you could never tell they were cut. I have since powdercoated them black.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:33 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I drilled the studs out just big enough to fit the wires through.
I also picked up the original style stalks with lights in them and ground the plates as shown above.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:36 AM
BACCUS100176
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the same BS relocation kit for mine and its a pain the ***. I wish I would've spent the extra coin and got the more expensive relo kit which uses the original signal light stand offs. I think it was a $50 difference. I don't know how you could cram any extra wiring through the standoff you have now because I had to strip outer sheathing holding the two wires otherwise they would not pass through.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:52 AM
SoftailManiac
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51

Thanks for sharing the info. I wanted to put one of these on my bike, but decided not to because of the relo kit. Now I can rethink the idea.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:03 AM
Warren9073
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I got my 2012 Fatboy the dealer had the same issue while installing my LED's and Sissy bar. They had to install the Kuryakyn LED turnsignals instead of the HD. The Kuryakyn are only 2 wire.

Last edited by Warren9073; 04-09-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Falcon195
Road Master

Originally Posted by Warren9073
When I got my 2012 Fatboy the dealer had the same issue while installing my LED's and Sissy bar. They had to install the Kuryakyn LED turnsignals instead of the HD. The Kuryakyn are only 2 wire.
Yes but if I am not mistaken the kurys work only as turn signals. The Harleys work as turn signals, brake and running lights.

Quick Reply: Harley tech. services doesn't know