Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deuce seeping fuel!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 06:25 AM
Spurlee
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deuce seeping fuel!

My 2003 Deuce has started seeping fuel from the check valve assembly. It's a significant amount, enough to drip consistently when underway.

Is this typically caused by a fouled check valve assembly or is the black fuel line fitting the culprit?

While I'm at it I'll change out the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator which I've just discovered are located inside the tank. Most interesting packaging...

Thanks!

Old 04-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Kurt G.
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please let us know as I too have an injected Duece and would like to hear the outcome.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:49 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also a good idea to change the in-tank lines as well. They are known for rubbing and developing pinholes. Gates makes a submersible fuel line that is more durable than the stock, but I just went with new stock lines due to availability. Either way, if you have the guts out of the tank anyway, the lines are a cinch to swap.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Spurlee
Advanced

Originally Posted by jreichart
Also a good idea to change the in-tank lines as well. They are known for rubbing and developing pinholes.
Thanks, I didn't think of that.

The Drag Specialties check valve assembly comes with new hose. They also sell a separate hose length which I presume is for the fuel pump to filter run.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:31 AM
Spurlee
Advanced
Default Theory vs. Practice

There are two "O" rings in the female part of the fuel line quick attach point. I carefully removed them and, in theory, would simply replace each and be done with the project for about a dollar and 15 minutes work.

IN PRACTICE, however, that is not the case because the correct "O" rings are devilishly difficult to find. I tried several different sets that were so close as to be nearly indistinguishable from the originals but experienced significant leaking when it pressured up.

Delphi, apparently, has some mighty tight specifications going on here.

Rather than spend gas money and time driving all over town I just bought the replacement fuel-line-to-pump fitting and hose and will install it.

Your experience might be different - try replacing the "O" rings first!

Old 04-17-2014, 06:42 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Pick up an o ring from Napa and good idea to replace those in tank lined with rubber one's too!

Old 04-18-2014, 06:50 AM
Spurlee
Advanced

Originally Posted by soft 02
Pick up an o ring from Napa...
Ha! I matched up several at NAPA and some at CARQUEST and elsewhere and none were a good enough fit.

I just picked up the replacement quick release set up and pump-to-filter internal fuel line. Cheap enough at about $25. I'll rebuild the old one at my leisure and have a spare.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,378 Likes on 1,162 Posts

I just bump this up for you . Just go to the Ignition/ tuner/ fuel injection section.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:32 AM
Spurlee
Advanced
Default Back on the road!

Replacing the quick disconnect is a pretty easy fix, took about an hour.

Getting the pump/filter/regulator/float assembly out of the tank is tricky - follow the shop manual instructions. The whole affair a gangly mess of fragile plastic, springs, levers and exposed wires. (If you are only changing out the quick disconnect and its hose you don't need to pull the entire assembly out, making things much simpler.)

On the Deuce, anyway, the assembly is hinged to help in getting it out and back in. It is a complicated set up and really needs to work properly on reassembly. I used some fogging oil as a lubricant to help the hinged pieces slide against themselves.

I replaced the internal fuel line as well. Again, more fragile plastic mated with super strong hose clamps. Patience is the key.

My Deuce is an '03 and I noticed a small amount of brown fuel draining from the tank bottom when I removed the disconnect from the tank itself. That's likely rust, evidence that the prior owner "saved money" by running cheap ethanol fuel. There's a drain plug right there, I'd suggest opening that periodically...

All in all, a pretty easy $35.00 DIY project,

Old 04-21-2014, 07:35 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,378 Likes on 1,162 Posts

Wasn't the leak on the quick disconnect on the outside of the fuel tank ?

Quick Reply: Deuce seeping fuel!