Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxidized Polished Aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:29 PM
TheDude4no1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxidized Polished Aluminum

So whoever owned my Rocker C before me really didn't take great care of her. They put a couple very nice, very pricey mods on. But they did a terrible job of actually cleaning her. I've accepted a few issues with the denim paint. Not a big deal. It's to be expected. But I do not accept polished aluminum wheels with oxidation spots!

Do I have any good options to remove the oxidation and get them looking fresh again? I cleaned them today with the Wizard stuff Harley recommended. Throw me some ideas, family.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:41 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

Really easy for you to learn how to find an answer. with me having to type a lot..

I learned it the hard way... now I'll pass the easy way onto you NewBe's....

CLICK below...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=remove+oxidation+from+aluminum

Last edited by oct1949; 04-18-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:04 PM
TheDude4no1
6th Gear

Thanks for that shot of clarity.

I wasn't sure if the Rocker wheels had a top coating.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:59 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

Yes... almost ALLL parts made by any MC company has a CC ing....

If the Pre owner fcuked it up for you...then you''' need to poslish a lot .... or spray on something or ... buy new part....

Powder coating is great to cover up **** ups....

/

Old 04-19-2014, 05:44 AM
Spurlee
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Never-Dull

I used a product called Never-Dull on my rescue Sportster. It is an old fashioned cloth "wadding" and comes in a metal can. It's is about $4 at Farm & Fleet or other similar stores. It is better than anything else I've tried on light to medium oxidation.

For the heavier work I bought a metal polishing kit from Harbor Freight. It has 3 clay bars and a set of wheels.

A rainy afternoon of work and my cases went from gray to looking almost like chrome.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:35 AM
SoftailManiac
Cruiser

Oxidation is a bitch sometimes. If it is light, the best way I have forund is Mothers Mag Aluminum Polish and several clean cloths. Every time you polish, clean well before you put more on. Just keep repeating until you get the desired shine. If it is actual pitting, pull the rim and wet sand the areas lightly until you get an even dull shine on the whole rim. This can take forever!!! Then polish to a chrome like shine. Its a pain, but once you get it to look like chrome, get the rim cleared. Then you only have to go through that once. Last rim I did, I had to sand then buff the rim several times to get it to look real good. If you don't want to go throught the clear process, you will have to polish often, and keep a good wax on it to protect it. Carnuba paste wax has always worked best for me. Good luck man, it is alot of work, but well worth it.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:00 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDude4no1
Thanks for that shot of clarity.

I wasn't sure if the Rocker wheels had a top coating.
That's a funny question...With my 08 rocker c, HD service told me they were both clear coated so never use any abrasive metal cleaner (good advise, makes it cloudy/wrecked...). Wash and wax them only. In REALITY, my front came new c. coated and the rear is bare aluminum...front looks almost new, the rear...just like yours...NLOL.
Be careful, I used metal cleaner, which is great for bare aluminum, on a coated part on another bike and it wrecked it...
To make my rear wheel look almost new, a buddy of mine has a polishing wheel and jewelers rouge/various grits. In about half and hour it looks great. Good for a couple years if you keep after it.
A buddy told me about some honda spray polish which I bought and works great! Keeps brake buildup and dirt to a minimum plus shines the wheel
Ps check your wheel bearings to make sure they are ok, I had 2 failures in 13k...last one at 65 mph...They are cheap to replace, Timken and allballs make good ones...Enjoy your rocker, they are great bikes once you set them up for you.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:15 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
Yes... almost ALLL parts made by any MC company has a CC ing....

/
That was helpful.
None of the polished aluminum parts on either of my Harleys are clear-coated. Including the wheels on my Rocker.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:39 PM
lazyboy09
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No rocker wheels are NOT coated! I have had both styles on my bike and had them both repolished to get a little more shine out of them. The finish is somewhat shitty due to the material and casting process.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:36 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

07 fatboy wheels aren't clear coated either. they are now though, I had them polished to the 9th degree then cleared by a local wheel repair company called Transwheel.

now I haven't seen all factory polished aluminum wheels but of the hundreds or so I have seen not a one of them had clear on them from the factory, which is ridiculous in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Oxidized Polished Aluminum