Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip on installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 07:46 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Slip on installation

I received my rush slip ons and Vigilante tuner.Looking at the bike I am realizing these may not be as easy to install as they touring bikes with duals.

Do the heat shields have to come of? The pipes loosened at the heads?
I can do basic work on the bike but I don;t have a shop. I installed slip ons on the Ultra easy enough. Seems the pipe hanging is different on the Heritage. Major heat shields.

I would get a shop manual but after I do the K&N intake and pipes and use the tuner to download a map, I am done messing with the engine.

Vance and hines PDF has me removing the head pipe

1. Loosen heat shield clamps on both the front and rear exhaust pipes to allow for easier access to the
exhaust fl ange nuts.
2. Loosen the clamps holding the muffl ers onto the
head pipes.

3. Loosen, but do not remove, the exhaust fl ange
nuts (2 for each cylinder) from each fl ange located
at the cylinder head.

4. Remove the Hex head fl ange bolts holding the
muffl er to the crossover bar.
5. Carefully lift the muffler off the crossover and
remove muffl ers by sliding them off each head pipe. NOTE: Assistance may be required.??

Last edited by TenMidgets; 06-22-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:32 PM
rbeamj
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
I received my rush slip ons and Vigilante tuner.Looking at the bike I am realizing these may not be as easy to install as they touring bikes with duals.

Do the heat shields have to come of? The pipes loosened at the heads?
I can do basic work on the bike but I don;t have a shop. I installed slip ons on the Ultra easy enough. Seems the pipe hanging is different on the Heritage. Major heat shields.

I would get a shop manual but after I do the K&N intake and pipes and use the tuner to download a map, I am done messing with the engine.

Vance and hines PDF has me removing the head pipe

1. Loosen heat shield clamps on both the front and rear exhaust pipes to allow for easier access to the
exhaust fl ange nuts.
2. Loosen the clamps holding the muffl ers onto the
head pipes.

3. Loosen, but do not remove, the exhaust fl ange
nuts (2 for each cylinder) from each fl ange located
at the cylinder head.

4. Remove the Hex head fl ange bolts holding the
muffl er to the crossover bar.
5. Carefully lift the muffler off the crossover and
remove muffl ers by sliding them off each head pipe. NOTE: Assistance may be required.??

I have the same exact ride as you do. I will tell you this much. It is EASIER if you remove the heatshields but you do not need to loosen the flanges at the head. One thing though is the clamp on the front muffler will hit the crossover pipe and not allow it to "slip off" I had to take a pair of channel locks and remove that clamp altogether. It was a bit of work but the springiness of the clamp still put pressure on the pipe joint.

Other than removing the heat shields (just need a flat screwdriver to do it) and front clamp, the rear clamp can be loosened and pushed forward clearing the pipe. After that there are two bolts on the bottom of the exhaust holding the pipes to the hanger. Real easy to get at.

The biggest issue you will have is getting the mufflers off of the pipes. They are on there pretty tight. Lots of wiggling to get them off..

The reason they say to loosen the pipe mount to the head is to give you extra clearance to wiggle off the pipe. It may make the job easier but is no way required.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:24 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rbeamj
I have the same exact ride as you do. I will tell you this much. It is EASIER if you remove the heatshields but you do not need to loosen the flanges at the head. One thing though is the clamp on the front muffler will hit the crossover pipe and not allow it to "slip off" I had to take a pair of channel locks and remove that clamp altogether. It was a bit of work but the springiness of the clamp still put pressure on the pipe joint.

Other than removing the heat shields (just need a flat screwdriver to do it) and front clamp, the rear clamp can be loosened and pushed forward clearing the pipe. After that there are two bolts on the bottom of the exhaust holding the pipes to the hanger. Real easy to get at.

The biggest issue you will have is getting the mufflers off of the pipes. They are on there pretty tight. Lots of wiggling to get them off..

The reason they say to loosen the pipe mount to the head is to give you extra clearance to wiggle off the pipe. It may make the job easier but is no way required.
Thanks.

I think i will buy a pipe clamp in case I need the Dremel to cut of the nasty one. The pipes on the Ultra needed a lot of wiggling as well. I would think loosening the head pipes would make wiggling even tougher. I used a lot of WD penetrating oil before trying to slip them off. I don;t mind cutting off the clamps But thanks for the info i will get the clamps JIC. Cutting it will be easier than trying to slip it off the pipe.