Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed stage 1, product reviews

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:17 PM
proraptor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just installed stage 1, product reviews

Hi guys I installed the stage one upgrade yesterday and boy does the bike run awesome now. The engine runs cooler, and smoother and I can feel more torque. I just thought I would write up my initial review on the products I bought.

Arlen Ness Big sucker – I wanted an air filter setup that would fit under the stock air filter cover and looked at many different manufacturers. I decided on the big sucker based on the reviews Ive found and the cheap price (around $100).
The kit come nicely sealed in a box and everything was wrapped inside to ensure everything arrived nice and new. The kit came with a nicely chromed back plate and very nice hardware. The actual filter looks just like a K&N filter but is stamped with the arlen ness logo and also states “made in USA” which is nice.
The filter kit installed very easily with the included instructions and the stock football cover went on as advertised. In the future I might try to find a round cover that would show the filter element but its nice to have the option of using the football for rainy days.

Rush full system long straight pipes. – I found these pipes for a smoking deal ($269.99 shipped) and that’s the sole reason I went with these over true duals. When these pipes arrived they were packaged very well to ensure they would arrive perfect from shipping. The actual pipes are ceramic coated inside and out which is a nice tough and something that rush says will drop the temp 300 degrees. The welds are nice and the full length chrome heat shields are thick and chroming was perfect. The black powder coated pipe bracket is also very nice.
I did run into a hiccup when installing the pipes though that left me a little frustrated. The o2 bungs in the pipe are 18mm but my o2 sensors are 12mm. I had to hunt down a reducer which thank god after calling 15 shops in the area I found. Kind of lame though that the reducers are not included with the pipes. Rush’s website does say the pipes fit my 2012 flstc so the reducers should be included.
The sound of this rush full system in nice and deep. There is a nice growl when shifting gears and Ive already received compliments on them. They are a little on the loud side with the 175 baffles but I think that’s a positive as in my opinion loud pipes save lives.

Vance and Hines Fuelpak FP3 – I researched all kinds of programmers out on the market and really just wanted something user friendly and simple. Well let me tell you the FP3 really left me happy. Its so simple that my wife that knows nothing about bikes programmed it for me when I was wrenching on the bike. The application V&H made to work with the unit couldn’t be any easier to figure out. Once we flashed a map to the bike it immediately ran awesome with no decal popping, increased power, and lower engine temps.
Im going to read up on how to use the autotune system but the bike is running better than it ever has with a stock tune from vance and hines.

Overall I believe the stage 1 upgrade is well worth the price paid. My bike is running smoother, cooler, and seems to have more torque.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Shadowray
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for that great write up...I am getting ready to do the same and your info helped!

Old 07-02-2014, 01:40 PM
proraptor
Tourer

Originally Posted by Shadowray
Thanks for that great write up...I am getting ready to do the same and your info helped!
No problem. Bike is running very well just wish I could leave this cubicle and go ride it

Old 07-02-2014, 05:55 PM
fattyboyrider
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the helpful info

Old 07-02-2014, 08:51 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Proraptor,

I like seeing write-ups of feedback and or lessons learned. Thanks for the info. Although I'll never use the FP3 on any of my bikes, it is an interesting device and I like V&H's technical approach to tuning a bike via a smart phone. They have broken away from the pack and created a revolutionary design. Question: Does V&H produce MAPs for the FP3 for Cam upgrades?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:01 PM
proraptor
Tourer

Originally Posted by olongapo1
Proraptor,

I like seeing write-ups of feedback and or lessons learned. Thanks for the info. Although I'll never use the FP3 on any of my bikes, it is an interesting device and I like V&H's technical approach to tuning a bike via a smart phone. They have broken away from the pack and created a revolutionary design. Question: Does V&H produce MAPs for the FP3 for Cam upgrades?
My understanding is they do not have maps for bikes with motor upgrades or cams but I hear they are working on it to accomodate them. The app they created is both user friendly and straight forward. Cant wait to see what they do in the future.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:54 PM
diaedy
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default v an h tuner

I just put mine on yesterday also with the big sucker and took it fo a spin early this am and could not believe the difference. I also have the v&h slash cut slipons to boot. That's it for me, at my age it be enough. Runs so well with more torque than expected.
Good luck an safe ride.

2014 heritage classic

Last edited by diaedy; 07-03-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:49 AM
proraptor
Tourer

I started the autotune process last night. Took her for a spin around the block and a lot of the boxes turned orange and green. I plan on driving around all weekend to get it to tune.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:07 AM
shawn1450
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do u have to download a program to install the air cleaner kit

Old 09-06-2014, 11:00 AM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

No program to download for the air cleaner, it is already in the FuelPak options.

VH told me that they are working on cams as well. They can update the software through your phone and you have a tuner that never gets outdated.

Nice concept they have there. Nice write up as well.

Quick Reply: Just installed stage 1, product reviews