Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else having trouble with LCD oil level & temperature dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:14 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 191 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Anyone else having trouble with LCD oil level & temperature dipstick?

My electronic HD oil level and temperature dipstick had been working reliably for the 4 months I had it since new. However, I noticed after I got the bike back from my HD dealer after the 1000 mile service, it started reading consistently high on the oil level, and this morning, at under 2700 miles, it abruptly changed its mind and went from "Oil level high" to "oil level low" within 45 miles of the last time I checked it.

I checked the physical oil level in the tank, as the LCD dipstick still has a human readable scale on it, and the oil level is actually almost full - nowhere NEAR being low!

Anyone else had this sort of problem with this LCD dipstick?

I really like the convenience, speed, and lack of mess when using this dipstick, and I really like having the oil temperature reading, but is this thing durable?

Jim G

Old 07-06-2014, 10:34 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

At least it looks cool. Take it back and try another. I would prefer an old school thermometer style temp gauge, and would prefer to check the level with my own eyes. Sorry Jim I hate to be negative but its probably not worth its weight in sand. Hope you get it resolved. Im pretty sure I have read another post way back where someone was having trouble with one.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:52 AM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had mine for over 2 years and it is still working accurately. Does it not have a warranty?

Old 07-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I would try changing the battery. It is the common CR2032.

You may have purchased it new 4 months ago, but, it could have been hanging on the display for 2 years before you bought it.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:19 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

I too have had mine for 2 years, and it works great. I did notice that once or twice when my oil temp got really hot...hopefully addressed now...like 300 or more...it freaked out. Never even replaced the battery.

Try cleaning the probe.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:08 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UT-rckr
I have had mine for over 2 years and it is still working accurately. Does it not have a warranty?
I'm sure it does have a warranty. I plan to get it exchanged for a new one under warranty, this next week.

Jim G

Old 07-06-2014, 02:09 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
I would try changing the battery. It is the common CR2032.

You may have purchased it new 4 months ago, but, it could have been hanging on the display for 2 years before you bought it.
It's not the battery. The unit is supposed to alert you when the battery needs replacing.

Jim G

Old 07-06-2014, 02:10 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
My electronic HD oil level and temperature dipstick had been working reliably for the 4 months I had it since new. However, I noticed after I got the bike back from my HD dealer after the 1000 mile service, it started reading consistently high on the oil level....

Jim G
I have exactly the same problem! Dispstick (brand new) was working fine before the 1000 mile service. After the service it shows "oil high". Didn't check physically yet...gotta do that...

Old 07-06-2014, 02:10 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I too have had mine for 2 years, and it works great. I did notice that once or twice when my oil temp got really hot...hopefully addressed now...like 300 or more...it freaked out. Never even replaced the battery.

Try cleaning the probe.
What do you use to clean the probe??

Jim G

Old 07-06-2014, 02:23 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by EagleRay
I have exactly the same problem! Dispstick (brand new) was working fine before the 1000 mile service. After the service it shows "oil high". Didn't check physically yet...gotta do that...
THAT'S A pretty weird coincidence. Do you supposed that something in an oil change process causes the unit to mess up? e.g. maybe it sits on a bench for x minutes and can't find an oil level so loses its calibration??

I had simply assumed that the mechanic had indeed slightly overfilled it.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 07-06-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone else having trouble with LCD oil level & temperature dipstick?