Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jagg 10-pass oil cooler install onto Breakout

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 06:34 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by olongapo1
[FONT=&quot]You can purchase the fan separately from Jagg and retrofit it at a later date if you choose to do so.
Unless Jagg has changed something, no you can't. Look at Jim's pix and look at mine - the fan mounts on the 2 bosses visible on mine, but missing on Jim's - so unless Jagg has decided to add the bosses to every cooler, there's no way to retrofit the fan frame on Jim's unless Jagg may have redesigned their fan mount...

Last edited by FurryOne; 07-20-2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Change
Old 07-20-2014, 06:44 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
Unless Jagg has changed something, no you can't. Look at Jim's pix and look at mine - the fan mounts on the 2 bosses visible on mine, but missing on Jim's - so unless Jagg has decided to add the bosses to every cooler, there's no way to retrofit the fan frame on Jim's unless Jagg may have redesigned their fan mount...
Bob, it is POSSIBLE that Jagg has changed the configuration.

I say this because Mike Lozano told me that you used to have to order things like the anti-torque part separately, but when I was researching my purchase, I found that it is now included on all kits. Furthermore, the kit includes 4 different sets of mounts for 4 different sizes of tubing.

That suggests to me and Mike that Jagg is trying to reduce the number of stocking part numbers required at dealer level, since dealers these days are reluctant to stock multiple part numbers because their total available inventory dollars are much more limited than in the past. Making a change to enable retrofitting of the fan would support that, even though it itself adds another part number (the fan kit) - because that part number is less expensive to stock than another complete cooler kit with fan would be.

Again, I emphasize this is just a possibility. A prospective serious buyer could call Jagg and ask.

Jim G

Old 07-20-2014, 06:50 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Once again lots of info, and neither install looks bad. I think the fan is a no brainer for me, but maybe not for others. Thanks for the pics furry!

Old 07-20-2014, 07:17 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by UT-rckr
That's the reason I went with the HD one over the Jagg. The HD one may cool less, but it looks better mounted between the down tubes and has a chrome cover. Thought about the under mount ones but was concerned about it surviving there and less air flow.
ABS bikes require an oil cooler to mount on the outside of the down tubes due to the ABS unit being between them. I believe ABS is standard on the Breakout since they came out after the 2012 model year. Regardless any additional cooling is a plus.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:17 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FurryOne
I don't get it. He goes through the pain of adding adapters, and then routes the lines like a masochist. IMO, he should have installed some 90 degree adapters to clean up the fact that his transition made the connections too long - they actually go too low, then come back up to get to the filter adapter. That's not needed on a correct install on a Breakout. And Jagg's "ugly rubber lines"?? Oh brother!

Mike had to work with what we bought in advance, as I live 60 miles form him. I bought the kit. He bought the braided lines and fittings kit. The braided lines and fittings kit was not available in 90 degree configuration.

What??? The difference in height between your install and mine is maybe 2". If he was that worried about airflow to the heads he should have just installed spacers to allow more air between the frame and the cooler. I'll be fab'ing a few during the week to see how some work on mine.

There is no way to cleanly add "spacers". The cooler is designed to hang directly on the "rubbery" tubing mounts to control vibration. Adding extensions would give the cooler (with its weight) too much leverage and would likely snap the rubbery mounts over time. The spacers would also look clunky. And, they would make the cooler stick out like a sore thumb, even worse than when mounted correctly.

I never saw any, but you can get 90 degree nipple-nipple adapters for the regular hose from an auto parts store.

The kit with the braided hose and adaptors that Mike used is a proven, high quality setup that NEVER leaks and LASTS forever. To give you an idea, that kit itself costs $92. Mike uses this stuff on 6 second dragsters.

I'm glad this "Mike" never worked on my bike! I've got another name for the cobb-job he did, and it ain't politically correct. Sorry Jim, but he could have done a much better job for less of your money - at least that's my opinion.

You might want to Google "Lozano Brothers" before you say something you will later feel foolish having said. Mike is THE MAN for mechanical work on cars, bikes, factory racing cars, privie dragsters, and serious money street racers. Check it out.

I am seriously lucky to have him located just 60 miles away. Read my posting about the tune he did on my bike. (See" What an experienced human tuner can do for your bike")

See above.

Jim G

Old 07-20-2014, 07:21 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
ABS bikes require an oil cooler to mount on the outside of the down tubes due to the ABS unit being between them. I believe ABS is standard on the Breakout since they came out after the 2012 model year. Regardless any additional cooling is a plus.
Yes, ABS is standard on the 2014 Breakouts, and yes that ABS cylinder block right between the down tubes seriously limits things.

Jim G

Old 07-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ABS may be standard on the '14 Breakouts, but the '13 model year it was an option. My '13 doesn't have ABS. I do agree that the additional cooling is a plus though..

Old 07-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Pa-Rider
ABS may be standard on the '14 Breakouts, but the '13 model year it was an option. My '13 doesn't have ABS. I do agree that the additional cooling is a plus though..
Then you have room between your down tubes? My Lo is a 2011 and ABS was optional, I was thinking that after 2012 it was standard, maybe just more common.

I powdercoated my cover black and most people don't even notice it being there, but even if I had to mount it on the outside of the down tubes I would still have one

Old 07-20-2014, 08:14 PM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then you have room between your down tubes? My Lo is a 2011 and ABS was optional, I was thinking that after 2012 it was standard, maybe just more common.

I powdercoated my cover black and most people don't even notice it being there, but even if I had to mount it on the outside of the down tubes I would still have one
I do, and after seeing that HD has a vertical one that fits there, that's what I'll be ordering. I was under the impression (up until today) that the only option was a vertical on the outside of the downtubes, or a small horizontal one like on my Street Glide.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:20 AM
LedBoots
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
If you're not moving and getting air across/thru it I doubt there is much going on. As far as the fins acting in a "heatsink" manner, I dunno about that.
Any time you increase surface area, you're increasing cooling to some extent. That's what all heat sinks do...it's the very nature of their design.

An oil cooler on a bike that's sitting still is still providing some level of cooling (allbeit small) as compared to the oil in the same bike without one.

Quick Reply: Jagg 10-pass oil cooler install onto Breakout