Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jagg 10-pass oil cooler install onto Breakout

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 03:47 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Jagg 10-pass oil cooler install onto Breakout

Mike Lozano at Lozano Brothers installed my Jagg 10-pass oil cooler onto my 2014 Breakout today. It came out pretty clean in appearance, and really affected the oil temperature.

I had considered getting the HD-branded cooler, but HD offers only a 6-pass cooler for my Breakout, and I felt that that is just not enough cooling in our Texas summers (100 to 105 degrees daily highs in August are common).

I got a good buy on eBay recently on the correct Jagg 10-pass kit for my Breakout. Mike had recommended that I ditch the ugly rubber lines and hose clamps that come with the kit, and let him install some nice black braided lines, and fittings that work with the nipples on the oil cooler and the oil cooler filter adaptor, but look like AN fittings. He has used them a lot and never sees any leaks. And Mike knows how to install them properly and precisely.

The latest Jagg kites come with the anti-rotation device that prevents the oil filter adaptor from unscrewing at all during oil filter changes. The Halrey kit is actually nicer on this feature, as it achieves the anti-rotation via 2 internal lugs, but as I said earlier, they only offer a 6-pass cooler for my Breakout.

Mike noted that the height of the vertical cooler (same whether 10 pass or 6 pass) is a bit of a problem on my Breakout. If you mount it too high on the frame down tube, you block off some of the precious airflow to the engine heads. If you mount it low to avoid this, you have to bend the lines going into and coming out of the cooler just about 180 degrees to get back up over the crankcase and head inward across the base of the front cylinder to the oil filter adaptor.

He said he thinks you can buy a version of the kit that includes 90 degree fittings, but I never saw such a kit when shopping for the cooler.

Mike made it work just fine, favoring keeping the cooler lower to enable better airflow to the engine, and routing the lines carefully and making them exactly the right no-excess length.

Here are two photos:

The two wire wraps around the lines are to protect them from abrasion by the bolt head they are unavoidably passing over, until I can get a couple of dabs of silicone on the bolt to separate it from the lines. This is what you call attention to detail.

Effects?

I have the HD LCD oil temperature & oil level dipstick, so it is easy for me to see the oil temperature anytime I want. I check it at every bass stop. Normally, the oil temperature varies a bit with outdoor ambient temperature, but has never run lower than 220 when it is cool out (like 70 degrees), and typically has run at 240 to 255 when the outdoor temperatures are in the 85 to 95 degree range.

Today's run from Mike's shop to the gas station near my home was 70 miles since I took a slightly scenic route. Road speed ran from 45 in traffic in suburban or lakeside areas to 65 on hilly 2-lane highways. The ambient temperature was 84 degrees. I checked the oil temperature at the gas station after 70 miles, and it was 208 degrees. The oil cooler exterior was warm to the touch.

So, yes, it appears that the oil cooler actually works.

Jim G

Old 07-19-2014, 04:27 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

Only when you are moving!!!

Old 07-19-2014, 04:38 PM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
Not true. Significantly reduced when sitting still since there isn't the air flow to provide constant air/heat exchange in favor of heating up a fairly stagnant bubble of air around the stationary unit, but there's ALWAYS more surface area (heat sink) for the heat to dissipate, yielding cooler oil temps regardless.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:51 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

That's cool Jim, thanks for the read. Good info! What were the part numbers for that kit?

Old 07-19-2014, 05:09 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Donny Petersen had a 2-part series on oil coolers in AI magazine the past 2 months. He recommends EVERY Harley should have an oil cooler. He also recommends the Jagg 10 pass over the HD cooler, which has 8 rows. They both have the same cooling efficiency but the Jagg is less restrictive & has less pressure drop according to him. Is an interesting read..

Old 07-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As much as I want to put one on my breakout, I don't care for the look of the oil cooler hanging off the side of the downtube. I'm looking to see if I can find one that's horizontal, or go with one that mounts under the bike. (like oilbud oil cooler)

Old 07-19-2014, 07:26 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cdonis
That's cool Jim, thanks for the read. Good info! What were the part numbers for that kit?
Jagg Oil Coolers Vertical 10 Row Oil Cooler Wideline Black 750-2000

I do not have the part numbers for the braided black hose material and the AN-like fittings, as Mike sourced those - I lacked the knowledge to do so.

Jim G

Old 07-19-2014, 07:31 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Pa-Rider
As much as I want to put one on my breakout, I don't care for the look of the oil cooler hanging off the side of the downtube. I'm looking to see if I can find one that's horizontal, or go with one that mounts under the bike. (like oilbud oil cooler)
I considered the horizontal type, but was concerned about that style's close proximity to the road surface, where:

1. It gets very dirty, impairing its ability to transfer heat

2. It is very vulnerable to rocks and debris kicked up by the front tire. If a rock hits that cooler right, it can put a hole in it and you won't have any visible clue until your oil light comes on.

3. The air flow through the cooler is impaired (because the crankcase is right behind it, unless you hang it literally just above the road surface, where any big bump, or any speed bump, will simply knock it right off.

But, I understand the reluctance to have the cooler sticking out on the side of the bike. It's not terribly photogenic.

Jim G

Old 07-19-2014, 07:46 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pa-Rider
That's the reason I went with the HD one over the Jagg. The HD one may cool less, but it looks better mounted between the down tubes and has a chrome cover. Thought about the under mount ones but was concerned about it surviving there and less air flow.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:50 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
Unless you get the Jagg kit that includes a fan. I mounted my cooler without the fan for now. Later I'll add the fan back in when I do a wiring project that remotes my Shotgun controls to the handlebars.

Quick Reply: Jagg 10-pass oil cooler install onto Breakout