Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long walk home

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 12:05 PM
pitbull dog
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long walk home

well took a little 900 mile weekend trip up thru oklahoma and arkansas this weekend. on on my way home about 200 miles from home. might I add my engine light and battery light came on. panic shot thru my head cause it was already late and getting dark . i pulled over upacked took seat off checked out all i could no electical fires nothing falling off or broken as far as I could tell.packed everything back up started up and took off. all lights off so thought ok here I go . 15 min later both lights come on. bike running fine no crazy sights or sounds so kept on rolling about 60 miles from home stopped to get fuel. when i was ready to leave tried to stat up to no avail. unpacked checked everything again nothing shorted or burning or broken about then to lovly young ladies in thier seventies stopped and ask me "sonny are you in need of a jump" and hoping they were talking about boosting the bike i agreed.bike fired right up. made it home but once in the garage shut it off and battery was dead as a hammer. glad not to have had to walk to dallas from middle of arkansas . was wondering if any one might have an Idea what may be the matter with my old heritage. hoping just a new battery will solve the problem. any info is better than none. thanks

Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 PM
rideflhr
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

It sounds like your battery has shorted internally.They pack a lot of juice in small pkgs and it does happen.Go buy a battery and if youve been good it should fix it.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Voltage regulator and Stator could also be suspect along with the battery.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven

Old 07-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Ditto. Stator or regulator. If it were the battery you wouldnt have made it as far as you did. Charge it up and head for the dealer. Mine did the same thing and left me stranded in the high plains of Colorado between no where and no where. You were lucky to make it home..

Old 07-21-2014, 02:43 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pitbull dog
about then to lovly young ladies in thier seventies stopped and ask me "sonny are you in need of a jump" and hoping they were talking about boosting the bike i agreed.
LMFAO...!!

Old 07-21-2014, 03:02 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 432 Posts

I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago. My problem was an aftermarket battery that wasn't making a good enough connection. Even if its an older harley battery, you could be having the same problems at the connection points. Start small and replace the battery before you bite a 90 dollar assessment for something that might be very simple.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:25 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stator. My 2009 Fatboy has gone through 2 of them in almost 5 years (82K miles). The last time it went out was literally Wednesday on the way to the HOG Rally!!! Dealer said voltage regulator could blow when the stator does, but mine didn't. Batt & engine light come on, and from that point on it is running on your battery alone. Charge up your battery, it might still be good.

Youtube has a couple of videos to troubleshoot your stator, if you're worried about a troubleshooting charge $$.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:32 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

glad you made it home. that would be one helluva walk for sure.

I think you have a bad battery. if the charging system wasn't working I don't think the quick jump from the ladies would have let you get 60 miles.

batteries only supply power for starting and storing unused power from the charging system.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Kazz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
glad you made it home. that would be one helluva walk for sure.

I think you have a bad battery. if the charging system wasn't working I don't think the quick jump from the ladies would have let you get 60 miles.

batteries only supply power for starting and storing unused power from the charging system.
+1 The fact that it wouldn't start but was able to go 60 miles ( after a jump ) points to the battery.

Quick Reply: long walk home