Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Tank Heat on Slim

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 12:08 PM
RadRodriguez
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Tank Heat on Slim

I am a recent Slim owner and have noticed some serious heat along the back of my right thigh from the oil tank/oil tank filler. I am a short guy (5'3") so my legs stay pretty close to the bike when stopped and the heat gets pretty bad in traffic here in S Florida.

I have the HD mid-frame air deflector and that helps with the rear cylinder heat but does nothing for the oil tank heat.

I was thinking about adding a Capt Itch cooler but was wondering if others have done this and noticed a difference on a Slim. I know the Capt Itch cooler covers the rear cylinder pretty well but it does not look like it covers much of the oil tank from the pictures on the web.

Any input about your experience is appreciated!

Old 07-21-2014, 01:10 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't own one, but all of the reviews of the Crotch Cooler are pretty similar. It tones down the heat from the rear cylinder and oil tank. I think it is your best bet if the heat bothers you that much.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:10 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I notice you have the aftermarket air cleaner and stock pipes on your Slim, rad.

Have you been able to install a tuner yet? Piggyback or otherwise might tamp down your oil temps. Before I ran my VH fuelpak I was running 225 to 230 oil temps with my aftermarket air cleaner and pipes. The fuelpak brought that down to 210 to 215.

Some of this is the nature of the beast though with an air cooled EFI bike. They just run hot. Plus, the heat and humidity in Miami is probably pretty brutal right now.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:27 PM
RadRodriguez
Cruiser

SoCal, yes I have a PowerVision to tune the bike. The mufflers are actually Rush slip-ons with the HD heat shields mounted to look like stock. The bike sounds and runs great!

You are correct, the heat and HUMIDITY here in the summer is brutal. Add to that I can't really move me leg away from the bike, it's just not long enough, LOL.

With my PowerVision I see much higher engine temps than what I read people posting on this site. Seeing over 300 F is not uncommon when in traffic, mid-day in late July.

I have read many good things about the Capt Itch coolers but wanted to get some actual user feed back from Slim owners. I can see where they easily block the heat from the rear head but the oil tank is still pretty exposed. My HD mid frame deflector does a good job with the rear head heat.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:45 PM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 5' 7" and haven't had any issues with heat from the oil tank on my Slim, I have the ARNess Big sucker with VH 3" Twin Slash Mufflers and the FM Micro Tuner, plus the HD front down tube mounted Oil Cooler.
I was concerned about heat when I bought the SLIM, the Oil Cooler was the first thing I put on, I looked at the Capt Itch coolers but don't really like the way they look, though it's a darn good idea just not for me.
When we had some humidity and around 85 deg that was the first time I saw the oil temp break 200 deg.

Last edited by oldwarrior; 07-21-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Rad-

Ive got the plain, "stock" Capt Itch Crotch Cooler on my Slim. I live in the NoRCal/Sacramento area and it has been anywhere from 95-108 degrees this summer (we are in a cool period, hell, we even got rain last night). So as you experience as well, my oil tank on the right side does get quite warm. However, the CICC works like a champ and makes a HUGE difference. Best $80 I have spent.

Tuning, synthetic oil, and oil cooler aside, with the 95+ degree temps, I would advocate that a CICC is a much needed addition to any Slim.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:09 PM
RadRodriguez
Cruiser

Thanks Dutch! You got any pictures of that Slim with the CICC?

Old 07-21-2014, 05:12 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

On the right side...

From the top...

Old 07-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

You sure it's not from the rear cylinder and exhaust pipe?

Old 07-21-2014, 06:14 PM
RadRodriguez
Cruiser

Dutch, thank you very much. I love it and will be ordering one tomorrow.

Pitbull, positive. I feel the heat right above the oil tank cap. The exhaust is too far to feel that intense. No worries on the left side especially with my HD mid-frame air deflector. If I could move my leg out farther or up and away from the oil tank when stopped, it might not be so bad, but my legs are too short for that.

Quick Reply: Oil Tank Heat on Slim