Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Samsons

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:18 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Samsons

Not happy at all with my Samsons. Less than 1 1/2 years on the bike, maybe 3000 miles and the chrome plating is chipping and they look like crap now. Most won't notice but I do and for the price it's pretty poor quality plating. I love the look and now with the head work complete, new cam, tuner and modified baffles they sound awesome but still...... totally bummed!

Old 07-23-2014, 12:13 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Figures, as they come with a 1-year warranty.
Isn't that they way it always seems to work?

Sounds like just one more reason to steer clear of this outfit...

Old 07-23-2014, 12:32 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Not happy at all with my Samsons. Less than 1 1/2 years on the bike, maybe 3000 miles and the chrome plating is chipping and they look like crap now. Most won't notice but I do and for the price it's pretty poor quality plating. I love the look and now with the head work complete, new cam, tuner and modified baffles they sound awesome but still...... totally bummed!
Must have been from their old plating shop. Hopefully the Samson rep will chime in.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Pudge211
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the sound of mine. Bought them used for a steal and this fall I will be having them re chromed. If I paid retail for the Samson's and had to have them re chromed I would probably be pretty bummed out too!

Old 07-23-2014, 01:13 PM
proraptor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Samson just isnt a company I would ever do business with.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:18 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramboamt
Must have been from their old plating shop. Hopefully the Samson rep will chime in.
I run Big Guns on several bikes, 10-15 years old and they look like new. Chrome just ain't what it used to be.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:45 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

I bought my '02 Road King used with 1500 miles on it in March of 03. The guy put Samson Big Ovals on the stock headers and I ran them for about 2 years. The chrome absolutely sucked. But then again, that has always been the complaint about Samson pipes from as long back as I can remember. I've always thought of Samson as a low quality manufacturer - sort of like Smittybilt stuff for Jeeps.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:09 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

That's gotta be frustrating.

I got my Samsons 1.5 years ago and have about 10k miles on them. Knock on wood, no problems.

That said, almost all chrome is not what it used to be...unless you get it done by a legacy shop still running non-epa compliant.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-23-2014, 03:47 PM
sno-man
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

probably made in china....

Old 07-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Samson_tech
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Tbonetony06,
Not sure why your chrome would be chipping but could you please post some pictures for me. I've had the same similar setup as you on my 07 Deluxe for over 5 years and there isn't any chipping and it's probably from the same plater we used before.

We're doing a Hexavalent plating process on all of our parts so this is something that is extremely rare.

Let me know which parts exactly that this is happening on so I can see if I can help you out somehow.

What Kevin said from DK is pretty accurate although there are platers such as our current plater that was basically grandfathered in to be able to operate as they have been doing for the last 50 years.

I know in the past we have used various platers and have certainly had the bait and switch pulled on us where they send back samples which I check with my nickel thickness testing equipment and then after a crate or two is done they start cutting your tank time in half thinking you won't notice. We have learned valuable lessons from this and every single crate of chrome that comes into our shop is personally tested by me as it is being inspected for quality control by my shipping department.

@snoman we are a 100% family owned and operated business and nothing is made in china, everything is made in our shop daily from raw tubing.

Thank you,
Brian

Last edited by Samson_tech; 07-23-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Samsons