Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What bike to choose?......

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:49 AM
Convert79
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What bike to choose?......

Hello and thanks for reading. I'm here to learn as much as I can to try and make a decision on my next bike. The only cruiser I've had before was a 2010 Vegas, so that's what I constantly compare to I guess.

The more I look at HDs the more I want one, I've made the pro/con list already

Questions are many:

I like Road Kings, Fat boy, Soft tail deluxe, deuces, night trains, Dyna WGs, and super glides.

The issue I run into is know what's what; I see how the forum's categories are structured so that helps. I'll be looking to spend less the $10k, so I'm looking between 98-2007 depending on the bike, and I'd rather go fuel-injected. I know that softtails and dynas have a different rear suspension setup but have never ridden either. I know that ST Deluxe is the priciest and I can get the same thing almost in a Heritage a bit less.

I'm 6'2, 260, so I'm used to/need forward controls obviously. What else should I factor in or exclude when looking for options? I plan to buy a bike in February+ time frame. All advice welcomed. Jon

Old 07-29-2014, 07:19 AM
Nydrin
5th Gear

The only way to make the right choice is to go for a trial ride ...

Let me tell my own experience. I was narrow to sign for a breakout without trying it. Then there was a demo day and I tested it as well as the Fat Boy, the Slim and few others. Without the trial, I wouldn't have my loved Slim but the Breakout (which is anyway a very nice HD). The thing that made me change is juste a "strange" feeling stating "THIS is the bike made for you ....

Old 07-29-2014, 08:03 AM
gerjets
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You like a lot of bikes so you should try them out and figure out which bike you like first. Also, based on your size, you might find you're not comfortable on some but are on others. Remember, you will likely customize as well.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 AM
Convert79
3rd Gear

I just looked and there's Demo Days going on at Waugh HD in Orange, VA late October. I plan to go, not sure if I need to pre-register or if it's first come-first serve type thing? I emailed them.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Most dealers (all the ones I have been to), will let you test a used bike. I am partial to the Softails, but I am several inches shorter than you, so they fit me perfectly. You may like the Dyna better. Just ride it and see.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:17 AM
Liberator
Cruiser

Where in NoVA? Someone in my neighborhood has a blue (purple?) and white Vegas.

Anyway, the touring bikes might not be your thing unless you realistically wanna ride 2-up a decent amount and want to eat up miles. I'm partial to my Softail Deuce as I like twisty rides in the mountains and hate riding with a shield. Really don't enjoy highway. Also like the fact that it doesn't shake like crazy at idle in traffic like the touring bikes (and there's plenty of that in NoVA). Also really don't ever wanna encounter the Harley rear wobble of some of those non-balanced motor bikes as I like to throw it into turns.

I'm 6'1" and I bet the Deluxe may feel a little small to you.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Sixgunjr
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Motorcycles are all in what you'd like, if you don't get the one you want you'll end up with it eventually.
I've always enjoyed touring models but just ended up with my first softail and so far I'm loving it.
Since you are a tall, touring models may fit you best.
Good luck, the best part of buying motorcycles is picking it out. ;-)

Old 07-29-2014, 11:52 AM
Convert79
3rd Gear

Hey Liberator, I'm in Aldie now. I'm currently bikeless sadly, got laid off in January and just started working again last month. My old Vegas is still around here, Maroon/wht with bags.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:25 PM
Liberator
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Convert79
Hey Liberator, I'm in Aldie now. I'm currently bikeless sadly, got laid off in January and just started working again last month. My old Vegas is still around here, Maroon/wht with bags.
Aldie! Man, that's some goooood riding out there! I have to suffer on 50 quite awhile to even get close to you for good roads (in Vienna).

Well keep this thread updated on the sorta bike you're leaning towards and I'd be happy to keep an eye open around here for ya.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:36 PM
Convert79
3rd Gear

Thanks, sure thing. I'm just researching my options honestly. I don't like the sound of the top-heaviness of RKs but we'll see. I can find a Deuce or Heritage, even fat boy for around $7-8k+ with not many miles, thats the key for me really. I want something under 15k if I can manage it. I like the Night Trains but I dunno yet.

Quick Reply: What bike to choose?......