Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shotgun shock height

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 05:35 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Depends on the bike. My Deuce with a 200 will rub the fender when slammed. I usually ride with the axle about 1 1/2 - 2" above the exhaust when I'm running through town. You just have to be careful and drive it like an extremely low car.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Mikeduke108
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop me if you for this one before… about the guy who installed shotgun shocks, and RSD fender, and the tire kept rubbing the fender even when the bike was close to stock height and he couldn't figure it out... So why were you down working on his bike to try to figure it out, he looks over and across the floor kind of hidden behind a trashcan is his bump stop....

Old 08-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I set mine firm and low. I scrape the duals pretty easily going around a corner, but that's the way I like to ride it. I park slammed, then pump both switches up until the bike rises a couple inches. then I let air out of the front switch until I can barely hit the stops when I bounce my weight on the seat.

Makes for a hard ride, but if I wanted it all cushy, I wouldn't have saved all that money and left it stock. I only raise it up to stock when the wife's on so we don't bottom the bike out.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:45 PM
stixman_576
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a chrome spike that sticks outta my back fender with the bottom of the spike about 1/2" inch into the fender. The spike isn't permanent. If the tire was to hit, or the bike bottomed out, the spike would pop out.
I ride mine about 1-2 inches off the bump stop, everywhere I go. When I'm slowing down, or cruising slow, I slam it all the way down.
Even when I hit a rough bump while it's slammed my spike has never popped out.

I'd say you have a definite problem with your installation, or you are missing a bump stop.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Anyone have an issue with the Shotgun killing their battery if they lift all the way up from low when the bike is off?

Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I ride about 1.25 to 1.5 inches lower than stock. The SS allows it to ride more comfortable at that lowered height than it rode at the stock height with the stock suspension.

I think the trick is finding the sweet spot between the air pressure in the SS and the amount of lowering. People have tried various ways to explain how to achieve this. This is the most simple explanation I've come across:

With your bike running, so you won't drain any battery. Let the air all the way out, both switches. Really let it all the way out, holding down both switches even past the point where it hits the bump stops. This kinda gives you a blank slate to find your sweet spot.

Still with bike running, use both switches to raise the bike all the way up. When it's all the way up keep holding both switches for 10 to 15 seconds. (Should be completely rigid when you push down on the seat hard at this point.)

Then use the rear switch to lower the bike to where you want it, but be reasonable unless you want to ride slammed. (I like about 1.25 to 1.5 inches lower than stock. On my Slim, that is about where the tire sidewalls line up with the edge of the rear fender. YMMV.)

The ride should be pretty nice at that point. But if it's too soft, use the front switch up (to add air pressure to the shock). Just a few blips will firm it up.

If it's too hard, use the front switch down, this time just a single instant of a blip (to release pressure.)

Hope that helps. Anyone with further insights, feel free to add something. I kinda went off the cuff here.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 08-19-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:09 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
Anyone have an issue with the Shotgun killing their battery if they lift all the way up from low when the bike is off?
Nope.
Sounds like a bad battery...

Old 08-20-2014, 01:51 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Nah I play with the height all the time while the bikes not running

Old 08-20-2014, 05:56 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jam436
Nope.
Sounds like a bad battery...
Originally Posted by Ink83
Nah I play with the height all the time while the bikes not running
The battery is fairly new. I think my stator is working on dying.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ly-cooked.html

Old 08-20-2014, 08:30 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

I ride mine about an inch up from the lowest point 90% of the time I would say. I lift it up a little more when hitting twisty roads. Although, on my road trip last weekend, I rode it a little higher and softer as it was just a long *** freeway ride with few real curves.

Quick Reply: Shotgun shock height