Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Bal engine vs rubber mounted

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 12:27 AM
tripleb1911
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Softail Bal engine vs rubber mounted

Hey, as I mentioned in a previous thread I have the fever to get a Slim when I get back to the states. Did not put any thought into the fact I am use to a rubber mounted engine and the Slim is Balance. I think the vibration at speeds under 40 mph might be one of the things I am getting weary of on my under powered RK.

So started reading threads on counterbalance vs rubber mounted engines.

Most of the threads are a few years old, none of them seem to refer to the 103.

Rubber mounted guys say they do not like the Bal engine because yes its smooth at ideal and slower speeds but at high way speeds there is a buzz that gets on their nerves. And of course they say at speed the rubber mounted engines are way smoother. My RK is very smooth at highway speeds.

The Bal guys say some detect a buzz at highway speed some do not but over all they feel the Bal engine is just smoother all around.

Welcome any opinions on this sub, of course I need to ride one and see for myself but in the meantime all insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2014, 03:13 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Well, of course you're right, you should ride them before you decide. I feel it depends on how you're going to ride your bike. Are you planning to ride 400-500 miles a day? Day after day? Go on a long trip 5 or 6 times a year? Will you be spending most of your time going over 75 mph? Then, you might want a Touring model. Are you going to riding around town a lot? A long ride might be 300-400 miles in a day? Maybe take one or two long trips a year? Most of your riding will be under 70 mph? Then a Softail, actually any model, will probably work for you. But, if you get a Softail, you'll have a good looking motorcycle! haha My Fat Boy (103) works fine for the way I ride.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:18 AM
Crex39
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a slight reduction in horsepower, but I found it unnoticeable. After putting S&S .510 cams in my 88, I see very little problem with vibration even at 80 mph+. The lesser vibration at idle is worth it to me.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:32 AM
tripleb1911
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your right

When I started thinking I wanted a new improved touring bike I thought about how more and more of my riding is shorter trips and then I told my self. What you really want is a beautiful bike more than than something for driving to other states. I just hope that slim is smooth and powerful. I think the side bag will work for some essentials and if I put on the small rear seat I can set my small gun bag on it when I go shoot. Just not sure if I can bungee around the fender or not. HD sells a little luggage rack that looks perfect but I can not tell if you have to relocate the tail lights or not. Cannot wait to find out.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:00 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,174 Likes on 6,218 Posts

Have a look at a Heritage.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:49 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To me:

Neither are noticeably buzzy at highway speed. Both are fine.

At idle, Rubber mounteds shake but that is good. Seems more like what a Harley should feel like.

Rubber mounted Dynas are noticeably quicker and rev faster without effort than a BB Softail. Some is because of weight difference. Some is because of difference in engine/transmission arrangement and the fact that one drives a balancer and the other doesn't. My 96" Superglide will outrun my 103" Lo stoplight to stoplight and in twisties.

On the highway, both are about the same.

Only way to tell which you prefer is to ride both for more than 15 minutes. I can't tell much from just a quick test ride cause I'm so pumped to be riding something new.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Try them out. Then decide on what looks good on you and sitting in your driveway. Remember, the rubber engine mount is truly not exactly correct. It's actually the whole drivetrain...... engine, transmission and rear wheel pivoting off the transmission. The Softail is able to have it's engine/transmission locked into the frame since the swing is attached to the frame. This allows the belt drive to stay in alignment. Either works fine.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:23 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I've had both and the "B" is my favorite. My 91 FXSTC should have been dipped in blue loctite at the factory. I don't think there was a part on it that didn't vibrate off at one point or another. My 02 Softail SS with S&S 510's is a beast at any speed.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:31 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

I had never ridden a touring bike until one day me and friend swapped rides.
He has an Ultra Classic and I have a Heritage.

My initial thoughts was that I just swapped my Dodge Charger with a Motorhome.
The Motorhome (Ultra) wasn't as fun to ride as my Charger (Heritage), but it was certainly more comfortable.

After about an hour we swapped back and man was I glad to have my Heritage back.
To me my Heritage is just more fun to ride than the Ultra.

I use this example in this thread because for the most part I think I would have likely had the same experience regardless of what touring bike I was riding and all touring bikes have the insulated mounted engine.

As for the vibrations at 70 mph, I guess it depends on how you plan to ride and if you are willing to make some changes to make the softail smoother.
As for changes to the touring bike to make it more nimble or "looser" to ride, I don't think that's possible.

I ride about 70/30 local/hwy, but even though I only ride hwy 30% I still like a smooth ride.
I added gel seats, cushioned foot boards, cushioned hand grips and Progressive 422 RAP shocks and at 70 mph, the Wife and I can ride for hours.

Is it more comfortable than say an Ultra? No, but while riding locally or on mountain roads the Ultra is out of it's element.

Also, perhaps you are not old enough to have been riding when the Hwy speed limit was 55 mph.
Back then I rode mostly at 60-65 and today at that speed, the balanced engine is just fine.
So if you don't want the "buzz" at 75 mph, just slow down to 60/65 and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by Bluraven; 08-23-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:32 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I run interstate speeds of 80+ and I have no noticeable vibration in my Fatboy with a B motor. As far as any loss in HP who cares. These aren't race bikes. Most of the softails are going to ride pretty much the same with the exception of the Rockers and Breakout. A Fatboy is no better then a Deluxe or a heritage. It depends on what you like. For me I like the Fatboys and the Slim. I don't care for the fiesta of chrome dots all over my leather like some bikes.

Quick Reply: Softail Bal engine vs rubber mounted