Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Steibel Air Horn on my Heritage Springer

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:03 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Installed Steibel Air Horn on my Heritage Springer

Tonight's project was to install my Steibel Air horn and wire my passing lights to the Aux fuse so that they stay on with the high beam. Factory wiring feeds the passing lights from the low beam so they go off when on high beam.

I'd planned on pulling the tank but realized I could unbolt the tank from both bolts and hold it up with a bungee cord from the rear mount to the mirror to get to everything. That saved cutting the crossover hose and getting gas everywhere so that was nice. But, I'd prepared for that and bought a brass sharkbite hose splice from Home Depot - I'd planned on pinching the line on both sides with needle nose vice grips, cutting the line and taking the tank off, then, install the splice and two new hose clamps so that I could take the tank on and off in the future without draining it. The vice grips do a great job pinching off the line and with the splice I could lose only a tiny bit of gas when removing the tank in the future.

I purchased a regular softail top motor mount from eBay which has the horn mount. The factory horn mount fits the Steibel air horn perfectly - the Steibel is made to grab the factory nut and as you rotate the air horn it tightens up nicely to the rubber bushing. I ran my Road King like this for many miles.

On the Springer you can remove the factory horn power wire (I left the factory horn in place of course for looks) and run it back to the softail horn location (feeding it back through the fork) with no problems...I did cut the end off the wire and re-attached it to save from having to remove my windshield mount as the terminal wouldn't fit through the windshield mount. The Steibel air horn uses the factory hot terminal and I made a ground wire to the motor mount.

While I was at it, I tapped the fender light wire (orange w/ white stripe) and fed the passing light power switch from this wire. Now my passing lights work on high beam. The fender light circuit has a plug on the left side at the front of the tank and that's where I tapped it, the factory passing lights get their feed from a yellow wire from the headlight right there so it was easy to unhook the factory yellow power wire from the low beam and run a new wire to the orange and white fender light wire (which is fed from the Aux circuit so now my passing lights work on the Accessory position on the ignition switch too if I want.

It's too late to take a video of the new horn but I'll do that tomorrow. You guys aren't going to believe how loud it is. I consider it a safety item.

A lot of words here I realize. Thanks for reading. If anyone has any questions please ask.

Here is a pic...more chrome!

Old 08-31-2014, 10:10 AM
Low budget Dan
Road Master

Received 461 Likes on 233 Posts

i have one on my bike and love it where did you hide the relay I put my relay under the rubber at the neck under the tank

Old 09-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Low budget Dan
i have one on my bike and love it where did you hide the relay I put my relay under the rubber at the neck under the tank
I haven't run the relay yet, I ordered a carb model horn bracket that has an extra tab with a hole for the choke pull, I'm going to use the hole to mount the passing light switch. When I tear it apart I'm going to find a place for the relay, I might take your suggestion, thanks for mentioning it.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:09 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Low budget Dan
I ended up buying a relay harness from Amazon for a buck or so and running the relay in front of the battery tucked down in. Surprised it fit but it does.

This horn is a great mod, it really gets attention when you want attention.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Bringing this to the top so it doesn't get locked to answer a question from a friend.

A year later this horn is still going strong. I'm very happy with this mod.

Oh and putting the passing lights on the Aux fuse has solved the problem I was having blowing the headlight/taillight fuse after I installed the Run Turn Brake controller.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:42 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 287 Likes on 153 Posts

Harbor Freight carries the Wolo horn for about $40. It is black.
If you want chrome you'll need to search the net.
You will need a relay.
I used a 15 amp fuse and it would blow if I stayed on the horn too long.
I replaced it with a breaker and it will reset itself.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:32 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Here's what I got, I think it came with the relay but if not they are cheap as is the relay harness which makes for an easy install. Wiring instructions on a relay are easily found on Google or I think I even put them in my thread linked above. Be sure and put a fuse in the wire from the battery to the relay.

The Stebel fits right on the factory mount even using the factory bolt. If you don't use the relay it takes 2 minutes to install, but take the time to do the relay.

I also blew my fuse until I installed the relay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stebel-Nauti...960de3&vxp=mtr

Old 10-07-2015, 10:58 AM
thephatboy2003
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the Howards Horns on for a bunch of years now. Still sound great. I do like your Steibel. Sounds pretty much the same as the Howards. I don't rememeber installing a Relay but it's been a while. Good luck with your horn.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:44 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Phatboy I think the Howards look great, much better than my Steibel. They cost quite a bit more, however.

I should mention, I've seen folks put the relatively ugly Steibel on one of the frame downtubes, if you get a black one it blends in relatively well and you don't really notice it very much.

Last edited by Joe_G; 11-07-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:32 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Got a great deal on a set of used Howards on eBay. I have to say the Stebel is louder, more shrill and ear splitting, and at $34 including the relay on eBay it's a GREAT deal.

But the Howards Horns look a lot better and are still PLENTY loud, a little deeper and not as ear splitting.

Here's some pics. Have to pick up some chrome acorns tomorrow. Super easy install, ask any questions you may have but it's a no brainer.

Name:  1682D561-132F-4E3C-99D6-63F82BFFBDE7_zps4itah3mq.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  248.7 KB

Name:  579F9F77-AC45-43FF-AC54-B30D50A76F49_zps6cmyslvm.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  237.0 KB

Name:  0C2AB13A-239F-45EF-9C2E-F67E6E8A4C66_zpszteuwhyo.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  238.8 KB

Name:  1FB6AFC7-E37E-4F6E-B983-73BEA6C86C9D_zpslkmqptxf.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  270.9 KB