Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on internal throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:08 PM
Rollinburnout
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on internal throttle.

I'm getn ready to change the bars on my rocker. Looking to make all cables and wires internal. Pretty sure I'm gonna go with the exile internal throttle but I am also wanting to run the brake line through the bars. I know it is not gonna be easy to run both through the bars but I also know it's possible. Thinking of going with the grip ace system so that I can actually run the wiring through the left side of the bars. Also going with the Roland sands king apes which have two 90° turns to route through. Anyone have any advice or anything I need to know before I start.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:59 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default the bends

Routing the internal throttle through 90* bends isn't going to work. To get the throttle to work takes more gradual bends because they use regular throttle cable and not wire like my Panhead. I want to do the same thing to my Crossbones but think I'll go with Exiles handlebars with their more gradual bends. Good luck!

Old 09-01-2014, 05:38 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will work, that is exactly the setup I've been running for a couple years now...in Todds Cycle chubby strip bars. I used a non-DOT brakeline from Russell (Pro System II?) and routed it in the bars with the Exile internal throttle cable. It takes some doing, and I lightly heated and pre-shaped the brake line to avoid any undue pressure on the bend points.

Here's a pic of the brake line during preassembly

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Old 09-01-2014, 09:42 PM
Rollinburnout
Cruiser

Thanks jreichart. How's the grip ace system work. Is it worth the money and do you have the switches for it in the grips or did you mount the buttons elsewhere.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:44 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior

I put the switch pad in the grip; I used Exiles grips so they were already machined and ready to go for both the throttle and GripAce. I haven't had any issues with the GripAce as of yet, and I've been running it for 2 years now, works great. Russell at Exile and the guys at GripAce are all really helpful and great to deal with.

I picked up the GripAce on ebay for cheap, and sent it in to them for reprogramming, $20 and it was at my door good as new. Keep an eye on eBay, those things pop up from time to time.

You planning on doing the Exile twist clutch as well? If so, then you'll need to bar mount the GripAce.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Rollinburnout
Cruiser

I'm already running a jockey shift so no need for twist clutch. Did you go with a jay brake MC also? From what I've seen they are about the best looking for stripped down bars. Really expensive tho. Also trying to figure out a way to get the switches for my shotgun up there also. I mean....why not make the job as complicated as possible!

Old 09-03-2014, 05:02 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Yeah man, I hear ya. I always seem to make things as complicated as possible. I guess challenging myself and my skills just helps keep me interested in the project. Otherwise I just get bored with it and it never gets done. Plus, it's what'll make your bike stand out in a crowd, the little details that no one else did because it would mean lots of extra work.

I went with a Joker Machine MC. Might be a little bigger than some of the JayBrakes, but I like it.

I don't know how many buttons you'll need for the shotgun, but GripAce does have the ability to program buttons for whatever your application. There are only four buttons on the pad, but button combos can be programmed in as well. I also remember seeing somewhere a small bar mounted 2 button switch, can't remember who makes it though.....

Old 09-03-2014, 09:57 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have all internals myself but I used the Carilin Gangster apes with no problems, no issues. I am running the Exhile internal throttle and their throttle cable. You have to switch over to hydraulic clutch for it to work. When you make your own electrical lines, stagger them so you don't have one big ball of heat shrink or tape all in one place to try to pull through the bars. I also know little to nothing about the "Grip Ace" though.

Good luck and let us know how it went, with a few pics, when your done.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default corrected

Well I stand corrected. I tried the internal throttle but to overcome the drag the cable presented I had to use a hefty return spring on the carb and didn't like it. I gave up to easily it seems. Good luck on your project.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Rollinburnout
Cruiser

Thanks guys. Tbone... When you say I'll have to switch to a hydraulic clutch for it to work what exactly do you mean?

Quick Reply: Advice on internal throttle.