Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make Quick Disconnect on HD Rigid Saddle Bags

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Racer99
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to make Quick Disconnect on HD Rigid Saddle Bags

I have the HD Rigid Locking Saddle Bags, P/N: 53050-10 installed on my 07, 1200L. These bags are solid mounted and I was wondering, is their anyway to make these Rigid Bags into a Quick Disconnect? The Bolts are hard to get to, due to the Rear Tire, meaning, you have to remove the lower shock bolts so that the swing arm drops down, in order to put a wrench on the inside fender bolt head. With that, I'am wanting to try and change the setup to a Quick Disconnect, but, I can't find any info on how to do that?

How to make Quick Disconnect on HD Rigid Saddle Bags-hd-rigid-sadle-bags-53050-10.jpg

Does anyone know or have any ideas?

Thank you,

Racer

Old 09-24-2014, 08:17 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Could the LeatherLyke saddlebag mount bolts and clips be adapted to the bags? There should be a way to make them work.
https://www.leatherlyke.com/products...-kit-2004-2010

https://www.leatherlyke.com/products...-lanyard-strap

Last edited by Guzzi; 09-24-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Racer99
Tourer

Originally Posted by Guzzi
Could the LeatherLyke saddlebag mount bolts be adapted to the bags? There should be a way to make them work.
https://www.leatherlyke.com/products...-kit-2004-2010
Thanks for the link. Kinda hard to tell by the picture. I can't tell what mounts (Bolted) from inside the fender well. I'll call them and see what they say?

Racer

Old 09-24-2014, 08:36 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Racer99
Thanks for the link. Kinda hard to tell by the picture. I can't tell what mounts (Bolted) from inside the fender well. I'll call them and see what they say?

Racer
The hardware consist of a specialized long bolt with with spacers and a groove for the lanyard clip. They mount directly to the fender strut. The bags slide off and on in seconds and are very secure. I've been using their bags on my metrics for over ten years. You will have about
.5 inches of bolt protruding when the bags are off. I'll take some pics of my Vulcan 1600 with them installed late this afternoon.
PM me a number to text some pics if you would and I can get them to you around 330 Central time.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:55 AM
Racer99
Tourer

The hardware consist of a specialized long bolt with with spacers and a groove for the lanyard clip. They mount directly to the fender strut. The bags slide off and on in seconds and are very secure. I've been using their bags on my metrics for over ten years. You will have about
.5 inches of bolt protruding when the bags are off. I'll take some pics of my Vulcan 1600 with them installed late this afternoon.
PM me a number to text some pics if you would and I can get them to you around 330 Central time.
PM Sent

Old 09-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Racer99
Tourer

It looks like the current (4) Bolts are a 5/16-18 X 3 inches. These bolts go through a Bushing (Two on Each Bag). So i wonder the size and length of the LeatherLyke Kit?

Old 09-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior

Different size bolts depending on bike model.
When you see the pics of them on it will make more sense.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:23 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Anyone know where you can get just the aluminum bolts? Had one strip, and need to replace it.
Thanks.
Jammer

Old 11-12-2020, 06:48 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,736 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Where are these aluminium bolts? I doubt there will be anything aluminium holding saddle bags on.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:37 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
Where are these aluminium bolts? I doubt there will be anything aluminium holding saddle bags on.
They are the big bolts that mount to the brackets that the saddlebags hang on, with clips that hold the bags in place, in slots in the bolts, so they're not easily dislodged. In this picture, they're circled in red.

If I had some square aluminum stock, and could setup my lathe, I could probably make my own, but I don't have either the stock nor space to setup the lathe. I can see about getting dimensions if someone wants to make them, since the leatherlyke.com site appears to be gone, and I haven't found any other source for them. I'm not sure if the docking hardware for regular bags might work or not. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know.

Quick Reply: How to make Quick Disconnect on HD Rigid Saddle Bags