Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bars don't fit...need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 06:36 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Bars don't fit...need help!!

Just tried to install these bars on my '10 Iron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360643657042...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Like the title says, they didn't fit. The brake line wasn't long enough. I could have bolted them up with a slight lean forward, but the brake line would have been stretched pretty good and its not what I would like. I saw Delboys install of the Keystones and my new ones are only 1/8 rise over those. I also talked to a guy who installed them on a 48 with stock everything. I think the risers are different but by how much?

What is a cheap and good way to make them work?

Put the stock bars back on, here's a pic of the slack in the brake line.

Attached Thumbnails New Bars don't fit...need help!!-brake-line.jpg  
Old 10-20-2014, 06:39 PM
HeroOFtheDAY
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Longer lines ought to do the trick.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:45 PM
franktko
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

It's not uncommon when people swap their bars that they have to change everything: clutch, break, electrical, throttle,.... If it's just the brake line in your case, I'd say you got off easy! Just get a longer brake line.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:53 PM
Ricketts
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there any slack you can borrow from further down the fork, etc?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:12 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser

Its a hardline from the top triple tree to the underside of the bottom triple tree. Attached are a couple pics

How hard is it to change a brake line or how much does it cost to have it done? Not super mechanical so don't want to screw anything up, especially with braking.

I talked to a guy who installed the bars on his 48 with stock everything, but I'm guessing the risers are different as is the speedo clamp?

Also saw a post of a guy who had Zeds installed on a 72 with stock lines/cables.
Could I just get shorter risers? Want black obviously.

Attached Thumbnails New Bars don't fit...need help!!-brake-line-3.jpg   New Bars don't fit...need help!!-brake-line-2.jpg  
Old 10-20-2014, 08:07 PM
Ricketts
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bluemsp4
Its a hardline from the top triple tree to the underside of the bottom triple tree.

Also saw a post of a guy who had Zeds installed on a 72 with stock lines/cables.
Could I just get shorter risers? Want black obviously.
Oh gotcha, didn't know that's how the Irons brake line was.

I installed 14" Burlys on my 72 with all stock lines and cables, I just had to extend the controls wiring. The brake line on a 72 is rubber from head to toe, so you can motivate slack where you need it.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:42 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser

All I really need is an extra inch or so from the top of the hardline to the master cylinder. I would say the rubber line is about 6 inches, is it easy to replace that with say a 9 inch line either rubber or steel?

Or since I'm messing with the brae line, should I just replace the whole line?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:25 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 48. When I did my bars I took off the front brake line and took it to a local hose shop. They cut off the rubber section and crimped on a longer section. Pressure tested and I was out the door in 15 minutes for about $30. I got a few extra crush washers and bolted everything back together. I think you'll find the hardest part of the job is bleeding the air out of the front brake. If it sounds to difficult and you have extra money pay someone. If not there are plenty of videos on YouTube and threads on the forum. Good luck.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:23 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser

Yeah I'm guessing I could just take it off and bring it to a shop and get a longer piece like you said Ployd4.

Members can be pretty creative sometimes and was hoping someone had a cheap easy fix where I didn't have to drain/bleed the brakes.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Greeley
Advanced

The easy fix you are looking for is straightening the hard line, a friend of mine had to do exactly that on his iron. Didn't have to detach lines or bleed anything, just straightened it VERY CAREFULLY with some channel lock pliers. It can be done you just have to be very careful and keep an eye out for the line beginning to crack. Worst case scenario you crack it and get a new brake line but then you would be in the same shoes as you would be without trying to straighten the line so give it a shot.

Quick Reply: New Bars don't fit...need help!!