Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1200 vs dyna

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:01 PM
scramble89
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1200 vs dyna

Hey guys, first post here. I've been reading up for the past few days. I'm looking to get my first bike. Have never been on anything at this point, although I have a motorcycle basic riding course in a few weeks in which they will provide a bike.

I really love the look of sportsters, but after everything I've read I'm not sure if its really what I'm looking for. I have someone who will eventually be riding with me and also moving to germany soon so I'll be looking to get some longer rides through europe in. I've been told that I'll want some more power rather quickly if i go with the smaller sportster models, so I've been looking at some of the dynas that seem to go along with the look I like.

Just wondering what some of you guys opinions are on this. The 1200's I was looking at tonight seemed big enough for 2 people but I don't want to get bored with something I've been told isn't really built for mid range to long distances.

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to get as much research as possible in before I pull the trigger on something.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:18 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

power is not the issue, the 1200 has plenty of It,, it will do 0-60 in 5 seconds and rock your world doing it.

the issue is the size of the bike & the suspension travel,, I would not recommend any sort of sportsters for 2-up riding, sure it can be done but it's not ideal,, sportster mean the sporty model of Harley, small, light & stiff suspension for good handling, good power to weight ratio..

really a dyna isn't ideal either buy they are just longer, wider bikes that have more seat & luggage room.. I'm not sure exactly which dyna to recommend, other than the wide glide is not what you want.., you want probably a street glide or something like that. also a twin cam Dyna motor is a bit smoother running. sportsters are single cam Evolution Motors, that just vibrate a bit more at certain rpm frequencies..

even if your a bigger person, you might not want a sportster for solo riding.

Just be ready,, your a new rider, so your jumping into kind of a higher skill bike in a big twin ( that is Dyna),,., because the bike is heavier it's a little harder to handle, you can't man handle these bikes like you can a sportster. you can't push them backwards uphill like a sporty. and if you drop a Harley it can do big $$ damage fast.. therefore I would say you must, MUST have a crash bar (engine guard) on your bike, they improve safety & can protect your bike if it falls..

in that regard, and if the 2 of you are smaller people, you very well might want to get a touring model sportster, Sportster are lighter, easier to handle, so they are considered more as a entry level Harley.. but overall even a sportster is considered a higher skill level bike because it has a strong power to weight and a lot of torque.

tell us your sizes, that would help us give you a better idea..

Last edited by LunaticFringe; 03-05-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:24 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Whats your buddy is riding on?

The old question of " will I want more"

If only people could get that Harley's are about a style preference. People who care about more should just buy more.

You're going to Germany, just buy a BMW 1600 GTL or a Goldwing. Both perfect for long long rides.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:41 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Wait till you get the class under your belt. Actually riding a bike will give you a lot more info about your comfort level and what you're looking for in a bike. Try to rent before buying too....Hard to judge sitting in the dealer.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:24 AM
Eisentreiber
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thingfish's right: No skills as of today, so get that riding class done first. You don't know yet whether you will like it, after all.

Passing the riding class will give you the basic skills and the ability to evaluate your next steps. Only then, you should look into that.

Then, two questions in one, it seems. Are you talking of 2-up riding, or of riding w/ a buddy?

2-up: First of all, you still must become familiar w/ 2-up riding, riding class will not teach you all too much about that. What's the weight of rider and passenger - this is a key determinator for the bike to choose. Sporties are great, powerful bikes, but stock seats and suspension are not particularly comfy for long rides - especially for the passenger. Next, the max load capacity will define the bike to choose. Keep in mind that for long rides you got to stuff at least some gear for two!

Riding buddy: Great if the two bikes have similar fuel consumption and tank size, so you go well in sync.

HTH

Last edited by Eisentreiber; 03-06-2015 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF.

I've ridden throughout Europe, including Germany. Some of their autobahns have no speed limits and can be darned scary places when cars come pass, tail-gating each other at way over 100mph, but there are also many fabulous country and rural routes, so a wide variety of choice, suitable for everything from a Sporty to a dresser. Whatever you end up with there will be fun riding to be had.

You will also find a very wide variety of bikes there, from 50cc powered cycles through small scooters and bikes to the most powerful models you see in the States, so you shouldn't feel out of place, wherever you chose to land in that spectrum!

A feature of most Harleys, unfortunately, is that their suspension is mediocre. That comment applies whichever model you chose, especially if you have a favourite passenger you want to ride along with you. The MoCo is belatedly starting to offer alternatives with their Premium range, otherwise the aftermarket offers a wide choice, much of which is also mediocre!

You and your 'someone' should take a few casual trips to your local friendly Harley dealers and look at what is available, also talk to the staff for their help and advice. Your combined physical shapes will guide you towards a suitable bike. We have svelte slim young things in here who plainly fit a Sporty in comfort when 2-up and others who are crowded on the biggest dresser! The two of you need to find where you can fit in!

Old 03-06-2015, 07:09 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah main thing is how big are you and your passenger?

sportsters are single cam Evolution Motors
Yeah..........4 single cams

Old 03-06-2015, 07:14 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I was in your shoes a few years ago, well, I've ridden some in my early teens but you know how parents can be. But that was in another life.

I went with a Sporty after I took the MSF class and about a year and half of riding I was ready to move into something bigger, which you see in my sig pic. You will find that as well. I'm not sure what your timeframe is for moving to Germany, but I might suggest a used Sporty to get use to riding and getting proficient on what you learned in class. Then when you make the move, get into a bigger bike abroad, as they'll have all the current country requirements. You'll probably know what you 'really want' by then.

I've kept my Sporty, which I still love riding, but the Road King gets more saddle time.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:18 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Size matters! A couple of people with combined 400 lb weight would be sketchy on either a Sportster or a Dyna in stock form. Good advice already given, get the training and try to borrow or rent to see what fits the best. There's a lot available in the used market, you can find some awesome deals but with spring coming it's a bit harder to deal.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:37 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 96roadking
Size matters! A couple of people with combined 400 lb weight would be sketchy on either a Sportster or a Dyna in stock form. Good advice already given, get the training and try to borrow or rent to see what fits the best. There's a lot available in the used market, you can find some awesome deals but with spring coming it's a bit harder to deal.
I assume you are referring to ride and handling in that comparison. A stock big twin Dyna has good power for two-up travel.

Quick Reply: 1200 vs dyna