Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Nightster Starter Engages On Its Own

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 12:41 PM
THUND3RHOR5E
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Nightster Starter Engages On Its Own

My starter engages without pressing the start button, and runs intermittently while the bike is running, causing a grinding sound. I have no diagnostic codes for this issue. (I know it is the starter because I turn the key to "run", the start switch to "run", and the bike starts without pressing the "start" button).

I have the switch housing apart, but cannot see anything there (water, corrosion, etc). I am stumped and frustrated. Please reply if you have ever heard of this issue. Thanks a bunch.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:49 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

One of the black relays in the fuse box is for the starter, check there for corrosion first and maybe swap the two relays and see what happens.
If it's still the same try disconnecting the wires at the start switch and see if the problem persists, if it's still doing it at least you know it's not the switch, if it solves the problem you know you have to change the switch.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:59 PM
THUND3RHOR5E
Intermediate

Thanks HOTLAP. I swapped the relays after looking for corrosion (didn't see any). Problem still persists. I'm wary of disconnecting the wires from the assembly because I don't want to take apart the throttle. It doesn't appear that I can get in there without messing w/ throttle assembly.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Skitzer
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THUND3RHOR5E
I'm wary of disconnecting the wires from the assembly because I don't want to take apart the throttle. It doesn't appear that I can get in there without messing w/ throttle assembly.
Don't be afraid of it ... it's easier than you think. You cannot mess anything up by disassembling the switch block.
It's either that or take it in to your local HD dealer or Indy and get charged out the *** for labor.
You can do it. Just take your time and go slow.
If the problem wasn't in the relays and the switch is Ok then it's going to be a short somewhere in the harness.
Good luck.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:12 PM
THUND3RHOR5E
Intermediate

Thanks Skitzer. I guess I'm just gonna cross my fingers and dive in. I just don't know how to tell if it's the switch when I get it apart. Is there a way to test it? Resistance with an ohmmeter or something? Thanks again.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:32 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member

Once you remove the wires from the switch try to start the bike by touching the wires together (untouch them as soon as it starts), if it runs normally without the starter trying to engage then you know it was a problem with the switch, if it still tries to engage the starter then as Thunder says it must be something in the wiring.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:39 PM
THUND3RHOR5E
Intermediate

Thanks, HOTLAP. I'm still struggling to get the throttle off. I just don't know how it works. Do I have to pop those brass-colored things off?

Old 03-09-2015, 01:49 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes but be careful, they like to fly off and play hide & seek under things.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:19 PM
THUND3RHOR5E
Intermediate

Well, today is my lucky day. One side of the throttle cable has every thread broken except one. And i cant figure out how to get the wires out of the switches.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

I wonder if one of the broken strands was making contact with the switch, causing your problem?

Quick Reply: 09 Nightster Starter Engages On Its Own