Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti rattle clips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:41 AM
bringtheruckus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti rattle clips?

Assuming this should go in the sporty section. I have a 2005 FXD with a 99 or older sportster "s" front end (dual disk fully adjustable) I have had a terrible squeak and rattle coming from my front end. I have ridden around with my fairing and front fender all taken off trying to find the cause, long story short, I had a buddy revving it up (it will squeak just sitting) I pushed a screw driver into the back of my outside left pad and it stopped right away. I pulled BOTH the calipers apart, brake cleaned and re greased everything then put them back together, didnt help a bit. So then I got new anti rattle clips, re greased and put back together...helped for about the first 10 miles no squeaks, no noise, I was super stoked. Now its doing it again and I'm back at square one. Is there something that I'm missing? Ill take any help or suggestions I can get! Thanks

This will squeak and rattle at an idle, its usually not TOO bad if Im cruising at higher RPMs, if I roll out of the throttle at all tho it squeaks like crazy. I may sound like a whiner, as I did to all my buddies, until I told them to ride my bike. It drove them all nuts very quick. I sound like a shitty unloaded trailer going down the road.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:01 AM
bringtheruckus
Advanced

No suggestions? Ill take anything I can get haha, point out something that may seem obvious. I don't care, that's how a lot of things get sorted.

I'm almost thinking of just getting new pads and trying that, something...nicer? My pads look just fine tho and I'd hate to drop the dough on something like Lyndall pads and have it still squeak.

Also it looks like I didn't catch this in my first post, it DOES NOT squeak or rattle while I'm on the brakes. I do get a bit of feedback through the bars it seems tho while braking hard.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:10 AM
evomat
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try your anti rattle clips, those clips are set when pads are new as the pad wears the clips are not as anti rattle as they should be. Just spread a little and tighten up the play between pad and caliper. It may take a few times thru to figure it out. And your gonna have to do it frequently as pads get more worn.not hard just a PITA.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:33 AM
bringtheruckus
Advanced

Thanks for the response. I guess that's where I'm confused tho. I seriously JUST put brand new ones in from the stealership ($11.99 a piece, I seriously thought he was joking) and only solved the problem for about 10 miles...or less. Ill get a pictured of my pads posted here tonight, they look very far from being to worn out to me but I guess I dont know for certain.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:55 PM
bringtheruckus
Advanced

Nothing, anyone? Here is a video of the sound. Brand new anti rattle clips, fresh grease, and brand new lyndall pads. Again im about 99.9 percent positive its my pads as I have pressed the ouside pad in with a screw driver and it quit.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hp...24724554_n.mp4

Here is what my pads looked like, I suppose worse than I thought but obviously new ones didnt fix it.

*could the weird uneven wear be a factor? the fixed pad is super worn as the one that moves looks untouched.

Last edited by bringtheruckus; 03-25-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:09 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Squeaks and squeals are generally caused by a vibration of dry parts at high frequency.
If you can get the brakes to make noise at a stop , pull the brake lever and rev the engine and see if it stopped.
If it won't make noise with the brakes applied , you just isolated the noisy system.
You will need to look at every metal surface that interacts with another metal surface.
At my auto repair shop , we clean every metal surface that contacts another , really clean.
Then we "lightly" coat each surface with Delco dielectric high temp silicone.
A squeak is a dry part interaction sound , a squeal is a high frequency vibration aggravated by dry part vibrating at high speed.
If the anti rattle clips are OK , you need to find the dry parts contact point.
If you can stop it by pressing the outside pad , make sure the contact between the caliper and outside pad has a light film of lube between them.
This will fix all vehicles from what I've seen so far.
Mick

Old 03-26-2015, 05:43 AM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 185 Posts

Something isn't right for the one pad to be worn that much more than the others.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:57 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

from the look of the pads it looks like the caliper is not sliding on the bolts/pins that keep the caliper centered, or that the disc is real rough on the side with the fixed pad....make sure and take the pins out and give them a light sanding and grease them good...then buy some of that blue anti-rattle glue that you put on the back of the pads for cars ..spread it on the back of the pads, let it dry for a little while (not totally dry, just a skin on it) and put the pad back in and squeeze the front brake...

Last edited by mrfikser; 03-26-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:35 AM
bringtheruckus
Advanced

Thanks for the responses guys. I did notice both sides were worn the exact same I guess I didnt specify that it wasnt just the squeaky side that was worn funky. Also before I put the new pads in I greased all the pins as well, so maybe that will help with wear.

Ive been using this on everything

Ill try the other stuff tho as well. Im willing to try whatever. Also, searching for a picture to show you guys where I can tell its rubbing (its almost polished on the squeaky side) I noticed the anti rattle clip placement, this is incorrect, right? Being on the front of the pad?

Anyways I can tell its rubbing good on the bottom of this little "holder". My buddy pulled his sporty brakes apart and sent me this, im assuming this is correct and this is how I have mine set up. I actually tried both ways tho before I put the new clips in.

Last edited by bringtheruckus; 03-26-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:45 AM
bringtheruckus
Advanced

Here is right when i took it apart, just a quick ride around the block and all my grease is non existant

The other side doesnt have the shiny section. After this i sanded any build up off the slide rods, greased up everything again, put the red crc brake quiet on the back of my pads and took it for a quick spin. Can i get the clips verified, ive seen both ways, but have also tried both ways and squeaked both ways. Im out of ideas, bout ready to just give up and take it to a shop...i HATE that tho.<br/>

Quick Reply: Anti rattle clips?