Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I kinda like pina coladas but not getting caught in the rain.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 03:54 PM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Default I kinda like pina coladas but not getting caught in the rain.

So yesterday I decided I was going to take a trip to some mountains 3 hours away which i mapped out a week before but was just waiting for the weather. The my weather app said it was fine where I was and where I was going. Got 5 miles from where I was going and it started down pouring. I pulled into an abandoned gas station soaking wet, no cell reception and no idea where the closest place was I could get inside to warm up. Waited for a 2 hours thinking "this is part of the experience" and I wasnt even mad. Long story short it got dark and the back-up glasses I had were just not having it with the moisture. After 4 hours of hopping from gas station between clouds I made it to a hotel. By the end of the night I felt like there was a special place in hell reserved for whoever made that weather prediction.

This leads me to my question, what would other people have done in that situation. That was the first time I ever got stuck so far from home and when the sun went down I really started to panic.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:22 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

must be texas weather, the weather is more predictable here.

but to answer you're question you can be prepared for things like this, carry a lighter pair of glasses so you can switch if you need too, and some kind of water protection for your phone, even a ziplock bag works okay for that, I always keep one in my jacket pocket.

rain really isn't that bad, the worst part about getting caught in it is getting the bike dirty. your in texas in may, I wouldn't think coldest would be an issue. in fact the hotter is it the faster your clothes will dry out. on a really hot day riding in the rain can be fun sometimes, like the water rides at an amusement park.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I usually have my rainsuit jacket on bike when going for a longer than usual ride. When it starts raining I just put it on, I do not care much about pants getting wet. If the weather is not cold, that is.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:51 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

As a year-round rider who doesn't own a car, I have a lot of rain experience.

Pick up one of these or similar. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...MdMaAgQ28P8HAQ

I've been through a few one and two piece suits, but this one is the lightest and most water resistant of them. It packs very small and keeps me very dry.

Night riding is a bit trickier in rain. I wear a full face helmet if I know it's going to rain.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:14 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

To answer your question, I would have, and always have, ridden through it. When it was cold enough to become a problem, I'd just stop someplace long enough to thaw, and then carry on. I usually had time constraints that didn't give me the luxury of extending my rides, anyway.

I've been caught in rain hours from stopping, without rain gear, and stopped in a store and just got a plastic bag for a pull over; way better than nothing. Newspapers under your shirt or jacket block the wind and insulate you, too. I've also stopped at coin laundries after a rain soaking and dried the outer clothes. Just assure any ladies there that you're leaving your pants on.

You do have to watch your speed in rain, motorcycles can hydroplane at highway speed limits or less in heavy rain. I found that out the scary way early in my riding experience, was just lucky I pulled out of the slide without dropping it.

Maybe that's why I still go out in weather like this, even when I don't have to, just used to it.

Even took my 6 year grandson for a light rain ride recently. He thought it was cool how you bore a hole through the rain with windshields. Here's a half minute video he took from the sidecar - remember, the camera operator is only 6...

http://s1158.photobucket.com/user/im...tml?sort=3&o=2

Old 05-23-2015, 06:22 PM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
I've been caught in rain hours from stopping, without rain gear, and stopped in a store and just got a plastic bag for a pull over; way better than nothing. Newspapers under your shirt or jacket block the wind and insulate you, too...
This is actually a really good idea. If I were closer to home or wasnt about to sleep outside and knew I had a place to dry off I would have just rode through it. but it was also low 60's and I found myself shivering just from how wet I was plus I don't ride with a windshield unless the June bugs are out.

But I got a real quick reminder on the traction as I came up to an intersection I didnt see a bit too fast and slid all the way through it. Luckly I rode dirtbikes enough in my youth to handle the sliding.

Last edited by sawka; 05-24-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:13 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Mine was built on a rainy afternoon... sob likes the water... it is like it attracts it. I call her a fish called Wanda!

EDIT: I hit save too quickly... I too have the REV'IT raincoat...one in the RK and one in the 48. Works well.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...erName=VigLink

Last edited by wachuko; 05-23-2015 at 07:31 PM.