Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H vs Cycle Shack Slip ons

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:41 AM
notmyspam32
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H vs Cycle Shack Slip ons

I know questions about slip-ons get kinda old, but....

I've been looking at both the V&H and Cycle Shack slip-ons. From the sound bites people have posted, and I like the sound of both. There's a pretty big difference in price, so one hasta ask, is this a case of you're get'n what cha pay for?

Are the CS lower quality in construction, chrome, etc?

Old 04-29-2007, 12:12 PM
quig
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: V&H vs Cycle Shack Slip ons

I bit the bullet and got the V&H and glad I did

Old 04-29-2007, 01:01 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

V & H are nice pipes. Maybe a bit better chrome quality, I don't know for sure, but the Cycle Shack chrome is pretty good. They are the company that used to make the Screamin Eagle pipes for HD. And they may still be making them, I'm not sure about that. I've got about 10,000 miles with Cycle Shack slip on. No complaints here.

As a matter of fact, I was riding with a large group of bikes most of the day yesterday. A few other Sportys, but mostly Big Twin bikes. Being in that large group, I was really surprised at several people asking me about my pipes, and complimenting the sound of my bike.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:28 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Same here. I have CS slip-ons on all three bikes. I get a lot of compliments and questions regarding the sound and what brand I'm running. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.

CS chrome holds up as good as anyone else's. But, for the sake of argument, even if the CS chrome only lasts half as long as V&H, you can buy a new set and the total for two sets of CS slip-ons will be cheaper than one set of V&H.

I can't give you an opinion on the V&H as far as sound. I've never had them. Having said that I know I've ridden with bikes that had them installed. I've never heard anyone's bike exhaust that made me want to ask them what kind of pipes they were running. I draw one of two conclusions from that: Either V&H aren't that remarkable sounding (and you are paying more for the name than anything else) or my CS sound as good as or better for a fraction of the price.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:39 PM
rwjjr
Tourer

Vance and hines arent that expensive ,I got mine new on ebay for $200 shipped.I think the CS are about the same.Both sound good,I like the VH because the baffles are removable so you can change the sound every so often.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:10 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no found anything better price-wise, performance wise, or sound wise (combination of not independant). Cycle shacks perform very well. They are amoung the top performers. There is a guy with a 165 hp Evo (highly modified of course) running cycle shacks. Quality is very good on them as well. IMO they also sound better than some $600 pipes especially on 883 sportsters.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:43 PM
LAZYBOY
Tourer

i have cycle shacks and i ride with two friends with sportys with vance and hines. one has short shots and the otherlongs. the v/h have a little deeper soundand don't bark as much. the v/h are quieter at idle, but sound great thru the gears. my c/s have a little different tone and barka little more.imoneither is better orworse. it's amatter of money andi guess.the full length heat shields with v/h do make for a better look. using cycle shack though, i did stage 1 for a total of $210.00and i set off car alarms if i want to. if money is no problem i would go v/h my 02

Old 04-29-2007, 11:50 PM
FBL2011
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I didn't have (very nice) elderly people living on both sides of me in my neighborhood I'd absolutely go with V&H Shortshots Staggered pipes.

I like those pipes a lot and they fit the lean profile of the Sporty perfectly..oh well, maybe one of these when I get that house that the country....

http://www.vanceandhines.com/a113_sh..._st_spr07.html

Old 04-30-2007, 09:27 AM
quig
Tourer

When I got mine it had short shots(see avatar) but I like the look of the longer pipes so I went with the slip ons.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:57 AM
drumer66
Tourer

here is your best bet period>>>>>

http://www.easternperformance.com/in...roducts_id=635

on sale.... great pipe... and only 200 bucks

Quick Reply: V&H vs Cycle Shack Slip ons