Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing screws!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 07:04 PM
YoungRascal
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing screws!

I'll admit, I've been accused of having more than one screw loose at times. but I've lost a few bolts and screws on the Sportster lately and i wonder if you guys have any advice.

Anything to keep these things from falling off? I've lost an engine mounting bolt, a few muffles mounting bolts, the seat bolt and a bolt off my luggage rack. I've never owned a bike that has lost so many parts so quickly. *sigh*

Specifically with the rack, I am wondering where I can find a replacement. It's this one here: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/detachable-solo-rack-pa-01-5351207--1 and the silver bolt is missing from the quick attach cam system on it. (you can see the silver bolt on the second picture there). It looks like a special low profile bolt head.

Where do you guys go to get replacement bolts and how do you keep them from falling off?

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2015, 07:05 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Blue loctite keeps them on

Old 07-11-2015, 07:12 PM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I second the blue locite on the bolts. Anytime I take a bolt out I put a dab on for good luck. Ive only found one application for red and it didn't even work anyway.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:12 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
Blue loctite keeps them on
Red works even better.....

Old 07-11-2015, 07:23 PM
YoungRascal
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, that's kind of what I was already thinking. I was just not wanting to have to think about putting Loctite on every single bolt... It'm surprised that it's not the same kinds of bolts that keep falling off, but different ones from anywhere on the bike.

I found the latch clips I need for the luggage rack on ebay, so I should be able to replace that screw.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2015, 06:18 AM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

EVERY Single Bolt gets Locktite on my ride...Its very cheap insurance

Old 07-12-2015, 10:04 AM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
Red works even better.....
Lol, true but let's not mislead a guy who may not know the difference. Red is MUCH harder to remove, often requiring heat.

Application guide: http://www.loctite.ph/php/content_da...tion_Guide.pdf

Old 07-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I've had good luck finding replacement hardware at the local Ace hardware store. I keep two tubes of blue loctite so I never run out, go through a tube in a summer usually. For bolts with nuts - you can often find locking type nuts for those, but of course they're more difficult to deal with in tight spots. I also try to get at least grade 5 when I get new hardware. Using a torque wrench helps, too, not just to avoid too loose, but to avoid stripping them, real easy to do on some of the soft metal parts like primary covers. Red is for the two big nuts in the primary case and rear wheel pulley, can't think of anything else at the moment I use it for on Harleys.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:04 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
Lol, true but let's not mislead a guy who may not know the difference. Red is MUCH harder to remove, often requiring heat.

Application guide: http://www.loctite.ph/php/content_da...tion_Guide.pdf

+1 - Red Loctite should generally only be used only in the few places the Service Manual calls for it. If you don't have and use the Service Manual, you don't need Red.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:23 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I use blue on almost everything and in 8 years have never lost one bolt.
Where things often go wrong is once you torque down a fastener with loctite on it NEVER TOUCH IT AGAIN, lots of times people "check" their fasteners from time to time and as soon as you move the bolt the Loctite bond is lost and it can rattle out as if you never had Loctite on it in the first place.
If you are concerned about a particular fastener coming loose take a sharpie and put a dot on the head at 12 o'clock, then you can visually check that it hasn't moved without having to touch it again.

Quick Reply: Missing screws!