Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Head Stem Bearing Replacement, Help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:19 AM
raq1025
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Head Stem Bearing Replacement, Help.

Hi all,

I was swapping out the upper triple clamp on my '05 Rubbermount Sportster for one off of a solidmount. In the process I managed to grossly overtighten the stem bolt. (Oh, INCH pounds...).
So, I am now ordering a new bearing set. My question involves removing the seats. The manual specifies using HD parts HD-39301-A Steering Head Race Removal Tool and Universal Driver Handle HD-33416. It doesn't specify clearly how to install races. It sounds like they just expect you bolt it together and it'll press in the race. That doesn't sound right to me.

Anyone done this before? Do I need that Harley Tool, or is there a better way? How do I install the races?

Rich Q.

Last edited by raq1025; 07-13-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:18 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

The outer races for both are pressed in the neck.

The inner race for the lower bearing is press fit on the stem as part of the bearing assembly. Put stem in freezer for a few hours and the bearing in the oven on low low (100-225F, whatever your lowest setting is) for the same. Slip it on and let it do the work of the interference fit as it cools. That or you'll need some sort of very precise bearing installer that fits the shaft/race.

The upper bearing is a slip fit at room temp and just drops in before you put the upper tree back on.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:31 AM
raq1025
Advanced

Cool, sounds like a great tip for installation!
From the diagram in the manual, it appears that the races are pressed into the steering head. I'm wondering how hard it will be to get them out. I just ordered the MotionPro tool from Kutter along with the bearings. It was only $40.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I'll be tackling my Glide before long, so let us know how you get on with removing those races from the steering head! The last one I did was a shovel, which I gently knocked out with a drift, however the races were accessible from the opposite end of the head.

A challenge not mentioned above is getting off the inner race from the steering stem and I'm interested to hear how members have tackled that.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:28 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I'll be tackling my Glide before long, so let us know how you get on with removing those races from the steering head! The last one I did was a shovel, which I gently knocked out with a drift, however the races were accessible from the opposite end of the head.

A challenge not mentioned above is getting off the inner race from the steering stem and I'm interested to hear how members have tackled that.

getting the inner race off... I take a die grinder with a small cutting wheel and cut most of the way through the part pressed onto the steering axel and then take a cold chisel and put it in the groove cut by the grinder and give it a good hit, the bearing will break in the groove and you should be able to get it off at this point with a little finesse and the chisel, if not do the same thing on the opposite side of the bearing and it will split in 2 and come off easy...

Old 07-17-2015, 09:51 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Should be able to drift the races out. You just have to work carefully around and make sure they come out evenly. From what I hear it is a lot easier to run a bead of weld on them and then just smack them. The weld contracts and they fall right out. Never tried it myself but will if I ever need to.

For removing the lower inner race, the procedure I've heard (without the tool) is to use a dremel cutting wheel, and cut as close the stem as you dare in two places. Then hit it with a chisel and it should snap apart. Edit: Exactly like mrfisker says.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
Should be able to drift the races out. You just have to work carefully around and make sure they come out evenly. From what I hear it is a lot easier to run a bead of weld on them and then just smack them. The weld contracts and they fall right out. Never tried it myself but will if I ever need to.

For removing the lower inner race, the procedure I've heard (without the tool) is to use a dremel cutting wheel, and cut as close the stem as you dare in two places. Then hit it with a chisel and it should snap apart. Edit: Exactly like mrfisker says.
I recall reading that running a weld bead around the lower inner can also release that! Haven't tried it I must admit.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:50 PM
raq1025
Advanced

Hi guys. I've been tied up & didn't realize that I haven't been following up. Thanks for the new input. I'm gonna need it.

So, I bought the right tool for the wrong job. The tool I bought was to press in the bearing to the lower part of the steering stem. Since Sportsters (at least my year Sportster) don't have pressed in bearings on the stem, Wrong Tool! lol

So, I'll be trying the Dremel & possibly the weld options. I'll post you guys on what work.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:58 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 446 Likes on 309 Posts

To remove the races in the neck of the frame I either cut them with a dremel and pry them out or if the welders handy, I just put a 1/2" bead in the middle of the race and it will contract the metal and come out very easy.

Now, I haven't done a sportster but the softails do have to use a tool to press the races into the neck. I just start them with a soft mallet and then use the install the tool and tighten the bolt till the races are both seated.

Done this many times let me know if you have any questions.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:45 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

George's tools has the tools you need.

I used his tools to tackle the races in my rocker when I went to a wide glide front end.

Quick Reply: Steering Head Stem Bearing Replacement, Help.