Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

30 or 32 sprocket for beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 03:48 PM
tatrhed
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 30 or 32 sprocket for beginner?

The wife picked out her first street bike a 08 nightser 1200. I mentioned 883 but she had none of it. I will ride it till she gets comfortable and I upgrade. I really liked this bike, but has too much for her out of the gate. I ride on the back in a field while she tries to get used it, and its too much.

I have been reading about swapping the sprocket to lower rpms on the highway, which makes first gear taller as well. Would you recommend this to make it a bit easier for her? If so, do you recommend a 30 or 32 tooth?

Old 07-28-2015, 04:09 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Probably neither if it was my wife.
If she's a new rider, I'd be looking to pickup an older, used 250-350cc jap bike for ~$1000.00 and let her learn on and drop that. If she doesn't do too much damage to it in the process, you can likely sell it later for close to what you paid for it, and still have a Sporty on good condition that she'll then be ready for.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:21 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I thought you bought that 08 Nightster for yourself back in April?

Old 07-28-2015, 04:24 PM
tatrhed
Intermediate

We have a kx100 that she rides on a bit now. Not quite the road bike, but plenty of put you on your back power. The size diff is throwing her off. She also has the clutch concept down as she has driven a stick since she was 16. The whole backwards part was hard at first. I guess I was hopingto not have to spend that much more just to learn. But would rather pay that than whatever laying down the sporty would be...

Anyone else?

Old 07-28-2015, 04:30 PM
tatrhed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
I thought you bought that 08 Nightster for yourself back in April?
Wow you have a good memory. I think I may have made 5 post to this site total. Bought in April as her bike but didnt get to ride it because the week after we got it, it monsooned for about a month. Anyway, I'd get used to riding around Dallas/Ft.worth till she was comfortable on it. Then I would get a different bike.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:37 PM
blueracer
Advanced

I'm not sure you riding double with her makes it any easier for her to learn to ride. What's the reasoning for that?
I hate having a rider. The best thing to me about riding double is when they get off the bike.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:42 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by blueracer
I'm not sure you riding double with her makes it any easier for her to learn to ride. What's the reasoning for that?
I hate having a rider. The best thing to me about riding double is when they get off the bike.
+1 - It's hard enough for a new rider without having another ~200#?? person on the back. Sorry, but that's NUTS.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:27 PM
tatrhed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blueracer
It was only at first to get her used to starting and stopping. No turning or shifting. Put my hands over hers so she could the feel for the clutch and the extra weight so it didnt take off as fast. Then we do the dirt bike for the rest. Pretty much repeat basic rider coarse.

I don't have any issues with her on the back. I don't notice her on the back much. I enjoy riding 2 up with her.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:41 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

A new rider on a heavy bike with a passenger in a field? Not something I would think of.

Gearing taller will make the bike harder to ride because there is more clutch work involved. Not getting into the power is solved by not giving so much gas. Much easier than what you have in mind.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:53 AM
tatrhed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rog48
A new rider on a heavy bike with a passenger in a field? Not something I would think of.

Gearing taller will make the bike harder to ride because there is more clutch work involved. Not getting into the power is solved by not giving so much gas. Much easier than what you have in mind.
Yep, something i was told to try by a friend of my dads who has been riding since the 70's. At first i thought he was yanking my chain, but he was very adament about it. Thanks for the advice (no sarcasm intended). Any more other than don't forget to pull in the clutch when you don't like what is happening? She has drive (her car)n behind me on it and the first time she did she told me to slow down at take off because she couldn't keep up without flooring it. I told her I was taking it pretty easy which I think scared her because of the power. It is also quite loud which just adds to it.

As I type this, I think no may be safer to get the little 250 mentioned earlier, and then move up when ready.

In the meantime, would anyone recommend the swap for the bike on the highway? Either way, Ill be keeping this nightster because I really like it, if for nothing else than commuting to work. It has great styling, great mpg and most of all fun to ride.