Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone made there own coil bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 05:09 PM
legionxxii
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone made there own coil bracket?

I'm going to make my own tank lift and bracket for a coil and ignition relocate. I know how I will make the tank lift already. I've read a few posts on them. Haven't had much luck finding much on a bracket for coil. I have an idea to use cardboard to do a mock up but would like to see how others have done it.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:49 PM
gearhead1937
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Two pieces of flat stock welded together at 90 degrees. Drill a few holes and paint. Probably have $10 invested with the stainless hardware.

Last edited by gearhead1937; 08-05-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:20 PM
NO-TATTOO
Intermediate

made this one out of a steel flat bar from Home Depot, welded a plate to it and bent the ends to set flat on the heads. I used a horn cover to hide the coil and a twin cam point cover to hide the mounting holes that mount the coil to the bracket

Attached Thumbnails Anyone made there own coil bracket?-coil-mount.jpg   Anyone made there own coil bracket?-coil-cover.jpg  
Old 08-05-2015, 07:32 PM
gar187er
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used an existing bracket from the bike when i did the tank lift and wire tuck. no need to make or buy anything.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:52 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 931 Posts

I used a stock horn bracket from a 72 sporty and welded a tab on it to mount
the coil. I wanted the coil to hang a bit lower so that the wires have no
strain on them. Here's the best pic I have of the bracket.

hope this helps,

T.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:00 PM
holli4pirating
5th Gear

No pictures to offer, but you can make brackets to put just about anything just about anywhere with flat steel by drilling holes and making right angle bends. Cardboard mockups, like you said, do really help. And it won't really matter if it's on the ugly side, the bracket will most likely be rather small and rather well hidden.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:23 PM
legionxxii
Advanced

Awesome guys that helps a lot. Just can't bring myself to spend $100+ on some little pieces of metal I can do myself

Old 08-06-2015, 12:41 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

'Not a coil bracket, but similar enough in purpose, is a bracket I fab'd out of .062" stainless steel sheetmetal, to mount a stainless steel breather assembly that I dreampt up for my '09 Iron. See the forum link below for the assembly in different stages of completion:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ather-mod.html

The design was born out of the pre defined factory bolt pattern dimensions of the pushrod tube bases, and the allowable clearances surrounding these holes. It was a simple matter of removing the two opposing fasteners from cover to cover to get a center to center dimension, then with the consideration of the size/dimensions of the small filter I wanted to use, use a piece of cardboard to simulate possible configurations, height, the space off the engine, etc. Within 10 minutes or so I had a template that I replicated in thin aluminum trim coil so it would hold its shape and would allow me the ability to make minute changes in angle and center to center for the bolt holes. When I was satisfied with the results I replicated the bracket in stainless, then focused on the lengths and angle of the bends for the .375" OD stainless tubing that was to run from the "U-Tube" exiting the breather ports of the cylinder heads down to the breather.

You should be able to use the dimensions provided between fasteners of the cylinder head bracket in a similar fashion to come up with a suitable bracket to support your repositioned coil.

=8^)

Old 08-06-2015, 12:45 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NO-TATTOO
made this one out of a steel flat bar from Home Depot, welded a plate to it and bent the ends to set flat on the heads. I used a horn cover to hide the coil and a twin cam point cover to hide the mounting holes that mount the coil to the bracket
Nicely done :^)

=8^)

Old 08-06-2015, 09:27 PM
legionxxii
Advanced

Picked up some material today fabbed the coil bracket will grind it down and drill the last 3 holes and paint it. Once I get them finished up I will post pics of the finished product. I'm pretty pumped all this cost me around $20 instead of $100.

Quick Reply: Anyone made there own coil bracket?