Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander V Check Engine Light and Error Codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 12:29 PM
drewsmith
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Commander V Check Engine Light and Error Codes

Hi all,

New to the forum, just getting started so bare with me and I am sure this issue has been covered before.
I've got an ECU dilemma, I'll break it down:

09 EFI Sportster 1200

I added and S&S air intake, and Krome Werks slip ons.
After these, bike was running very lean and popping.

So after ample research, purchased a Power Commander V from company directly (about $400).

As soon as I installed, immediate check engine lights (probably due to the O2 sensor being disconnected, etc etc).

Bike now runs very rich (fast!), but I ride in the city, and gas mileage is now terrible (as low as 30 miles ridden before the fuel light comes on. No bueno.)

So I called the boys at Power Commander, and they sent me a new code. Here's where it gets fun. You need to use their CD to install new codes on your bike. My computer doesn't have a disc drive (like many new modern computers). So I borrowed one with a disc drive from work. Problem solved right? Nope! Computer needs to be a windows machine. Nobody I know, and no one at my work, has a Windows PC with a disc drive.

So I'm in a bind. I don't plan on doing anymore mods that will affect the performance of the bike. I just need it to run regularly (not to lean, not rich enough to the point where I'm guzzling fuel like a Hummer) with the mods I have (slips ons, air intake).

Debating on whether or not I just take this damn PCV out and ride on down to HD to get the Stage One EFI remap to set things to normal and get rid of this annoying check engine light, or if I continue to try to work through the Power Commander issue.

Am I missing anything here? If there's a simple quick solution here, I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Old 03-16-2016, 12:37 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

you can download the power software from their website? you can also do it on a android phone/tablet you just need the cable adapter. I don't have a cd drive either. i just got my PCV for my 2013 1200 from revzilla for 288? they price matched fuel moto sale price of 299, and i had $15 credit from revzilla with free shipping. Did your pvc come with the o2 senor plugs(optimizer)? I just installed mine this week, put the map on my pvc and fired it up. I also have the Harley stage 1 download, since you just have slip ons. the download may work out for you I ran the download with open pipes and a/c for 3 years no issues (decl poping will happen). If you get it dyno'd then you will know for sure its running right. The PCV maps they give you are the "best guess match" for your bike.

Last edited by drinktothat421; 03-16-2016 at 12:49 PM.