Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Roadster: Modification help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 11:30 AM
jdcjr3
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Roadster: Modification help!

Taking delivery of a 2016 Roadster, Black denim w ABS and security. Want to change out exhaust. Need advice for exhaust, fuel mods, and air filter advice, PLEASE. I'm a newbie so be nice and all advice welcomed! Thank you...
(Also: what's the best full face helmet?)

Old 05-21-2016, 11:51 AM
johnnybmore
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, welcome and congratulations!

Second, mods are inherently personal touches on a bike, and there's really no wrong way to go so long as you like the result. I recommend checking out the pictures threads (like this one for 48's) for inspiration, and also perusing DK Customs shop.

I've got Vance & Hines short shots already, waiting on a Vance & Hines FuelPak 3 to arrive, then installing that along with the DK Outlaw 587 air cleaner. Hoping the whole setup turns out well, and the pipes look and sound good.

Arai makes really nice full face helmets, and I use a HJC RPHA 10 and am happy with it. Light, comfortable, matte black, dark visor..pretty much all I could ask for. Visor is easily swappable and they sell a film for the inside to prevent fogging which works surprisingly well aside from being a PITA to put on.

The following 2 users liked this post by johnnybmore:
DK Custom (05-21-2016), jdcjr3 (05-21-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 12:17 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by jdcjr3
Taking delivery of a 2016 Roadster, Black denim w ABS and security. Want to change out exhaust. Need advice for exhaust, fuel mods, and air filter advice, PLEASE. I'm a newbie so be nice and all advice welcomed! Thank you...
(Also: what's the best full face helmet?)
Congrats on your new ride, & Welcome to the forum!

Here's a good LINK that gives an overview of what makes up a good Stage I (exhaust, fuel, air filter).

There are huge variances in the results you will get from various Stage I upgrades, so it is a worth a bit of research so that you don't end up having to back-track or purchase twice.

Here's a LINK where we've put together a variety of great performing Stage I Upgrade Packages.

As for a full face helmet, can't help you there, other than to say it will be worth your time to go to some shops and try different ones on, you want it to be comfortable. I ride with a Nolan Modular.

Enjoy your new ride!!!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 05-21-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:06 PM
TheHHMF
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Look, I know I'm supposed to say "get the H-D air cleaner! It's THE BEST!"...Whichever one you choose, choose based on looks and fit. You'll have to live with it. My only recommendation is to NOT get the H-D heavy breather, because it's freaking hideous.
And avoid Kurycrapyn Hypertoilets

Old 05-25-2016, 12:45 AM
jdcjr3
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you!
Any other thoughts?

Old 05-25-2016, 01:00 AM
Nick 93
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jdcjr3
Thank you!
Any other thoughts?
I would say be careful which exhaust you go with if you care about how far you can lean the bike over. Some pipes hang really low or stick out pretty far so just keep that in mind.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:55 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Ride it stock for 6 months. By then it will be off season in NY and you will have some experience with the bike. It may be if you give yourself some time with the Roadster, there will be other things that become more important.

It's a great bike as is, give it a chance.

The following users liked this post:
jdcjr3 (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 11:35 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,136 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
Ride it stock for 6 months. By then it will be off season in NY and you will have some experience with the bike. It may be if you give yourself some time with the Roadster, there will be other things that become more important.

+1 Don't be in a rush to be a copycat cowboy. Break her in well, spend some time deciding what works for you. There's plenty of time to blow more cash.

John

The following users liked this post:
jdcjr3 (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 11:48 AM
Amanelot
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This x10. You don't want to spend all that money and realize the seat rubs your Gooch raw.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:25 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

reason has entered the building. good job sir

Quick Reply: 2016 Roadster: Modification help!