Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Micro EFI Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:06 PM
pgilbert689
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Micro EFI Tuner

I wanted to share my experience. I bought a bike with slip on V&H pipes but nothing else done. I added a SE Air cleaner and noticed immediately the bike was running worse than when I got it. I've spent more money than expected since getting the bike and didn't want to invest another $400-500 for the PCV tuner that most people recommend so I took a shot at the Micro EFI.

Installation was a little more work than I originally anticipated. Besides taking off the seat, I had to take off the tank. I also pulled the battery completely out to make it easier to run the wires. My only complaint about the product is that I think they should wrap the wires all the way up to the connector. I don't understand why they didn't.

Unfortunately, after getting the bike back together, it wouldn't start. Talk about a panic attack. Wife came out earlier freaking out the bike was pulled apart and now it doesn't run!

I called the folks over at Fuel Moto and they offered up a few things to check. I went back in and double checked all connections and it still wouldn't start. Without hesitation, they took down my info and got a new one sent out. Unfortunately, I missed the outgoing shipment for that day. They asked that in the meantime, take the old tuner off to make sure my bike still works and to call them the next day if I determined the problem to be something other than their product. Fortunately for me, the bike still ran after taking it off.

Few days later, I received my replacement unit but I didn't have time to install it. I finally got it installed yesterday. WOW! What a HUGE difference it makes. The bike is more responsive, has more power and idles a lot better. I'm happy with the Micro EFI but now it makes me wonder how much better would it be if I got a PCV. Any thoughts?

Old 05-25-2016, 10:29 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by pgilbert689
I wanted to share my experience. I bought a bike with slip on V&H pipes but nothing else done. I added a SE Air cleaner and noticed immediately the bike was running worse than when I got it. I've spent more money than expected since getting the bike and didn't want to invest another $400-500 for the PCV tuner that most people recommend so I took a shot at the Micro EFI.

Installation was a little more work than I originally anticipated. Besides taking off the seat, I had to take off the tank. I also pulled the battery completely out to make it easier to run the wires. My only complaint about the product is that I think they should wrap the wires all the way up to the connector. I don't understand why they didn't.

Unfortunately, after getting the bike back together, it wouldn't start. Talk about a panic attack. Wife came out earlier freaking out the bike was pulled apart and now it doesn't run!

I called the folks over at Fuel Moto and they offered up a few things to check. I went back in and double checked all connections and it still wouldn't start. Without hesitation, they took down my info and got a new one sent out. Unfortunately, I missed the outgoing shipment for that day. They asked that in the meantime, take the old tuner off to make sure my bike still works and to call them the next day if I determined the problem to be something other than their product. Fortunately for me, the bike still ran after taking it off.

Few days later, I received my replacement unit but I didn't have time to install it. I finally got it installed yesterday. WOW! What a HUGE difference it makes. The bike is more responsive, has more power and idles a lot better. I'm happy with the Micro EFI but now it makes me wonder how much better would it be if I got a PCV. Any thoughts?
Most on here love their Micro EFI....IMO if you are thinking about spending $400-$500 on a PCV, consider a PowerVision with Autotune. Same great service by FuelMoto.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:10 PM
Derf_
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

If only i could find a canadian reseller...

Old 05-25-2016, 06:44 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

weather you get a Power vision, or power commander or mirco tuner. It really depends on what map you run. Most pre loaded maps are in the 90 percent range of accuracy Or more if your map is for the same parts you have on your bike. you would benefit best from dyno'd tuned map for "your" bike..if you really want that 100 percent match. i think the mirco tuner runs power commander maps so a dynojet service center could help. or like the Hscic said get a autotune type program, but that just adds to the cost of a powervisoin and powercammander (a custom map cost money too i know)

Old 05-26-2016, 03:21 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by drinktothat421
weather you get a Power vision, or power commander or mirco tuner. It really depends on what map you run. Most pre loaded maps are in the 90 percent range of accuracy Or more if your map is for the same parts you have on your bike. you would benefit best from dyno'd tuned map for "your" bike..if you really want that 100 percent match. i think the mirco tuner runs power commander maps so a dynojet service center could help. or like the Hscic said get a autotune type program, but that just adds to the cost of a powervisoin and powercammander (a custom map cost money too i know)
A custom map cost money??....Not sure who you use, but I've never paid for a custom map. Got a custom map when I bought the PV, ran some autotunes, then sent that map to Jamie at fuelmoto to tweak....he changed a few tables and sent it back at no cost to me.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:14 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
A custom map cost money??....Not sure who you use, but I've never paid for a custom map. Got a custom map when I bought the PV, ran some autotunes, then sent that map to Jamie at fuelmoto to tweak....he changed a few tables and sent it back at no cost to me.

If you dyno your bike that would be a custom map that you would pay for if you take it somewhere. not a "custom map" emailed to you from the company you bought the tuner from.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:23 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by drinktothat421
If you dyno your bike that would be a custom map that you would pay for if you take it somewhere. not a "custom map" emailed to you from the company you bought the tuner from.
lol got it...must have misread your post.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:06 AM
hammer6315
HDF Community Team
Received 196 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by pgilbert689

I'd say leave it alone. (happy wife happy life)

Old 05-28-2016, 03:29 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

I've had the Micro EFI for about 6 weeks now, I'm very happy with it. That's weird that your bike wouldn't start, but it sounds like you got a defective unit. I'm glad you got it worked out. I agree it is a bit of a bugger to install. I lifted the rear of my tank a couple inches and supported it instead of fully removing. (I still had to remove the fuel line to do this). I also pulled the battery, that should've been step 1. I got some split wire loom on eBay for exposed wires.

Regarding getting a more expensive tuner, do you plan to do more performance mods? The way I understand it, the Micro EFI only controls fuel, which is fine for stage 1, but if you're doing more advanced stuff, then the more expensive tuners allow you to control things like timing and other stuff.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:45 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Derf_
If only i could find a canadian reseller...
Why??? I ordered mine from Fuelmoto as I have ordered hundreds of things from the USA with no problems, why do you have to find a Canadian reseller?

Quick Reply: Micro EFI Tuner