Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Forward Controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 05:47 PM
ripto
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Extended Forward Controls

I am desperately in need of some extensions for my forward controls. If I ride for any more than 10 minutes, my groin gets super cramped and tight, so much that if I don't stop in awhile and then I need to put my feet down, it actually hurts. Getting off the bike after parking, I need to stretch and loosen up for a good 10 seconds before I can walk again.

I already have forwards, but the way things are, my knees are slightly higher than my hips. I'd really like maybe 3" extensions, I think that would be good, but it's hard to say. I used to have highway pegs angled downward on my old 883 so that I could put the back of my ankles over my forward control pegs and rest my feet on the highway pegs, so legs straight down and forward, it was great, but I refuse to get an engine guard for the Nightster.

I've come up with this so far as being my only option:
http://www.motoparthub.com/BPEXL_6B_...FYVbhgodPywL-w

Not sure if it's too much extension, but it's more than the rest I've seen and half the price.

Anyone know of any other options?

Old 07-26-2016, 07:38 PM
Nick 93
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That 6" kit is probably the furthest forward you could go. You could set it up like your last bike if that was something you liked. Also, a little bit of stretching would help out so much with cramps and discomfort. Work on becoming more flexible and it probably wouldn't bother you as much. Only other option is to look for a larger bike.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:06 PM
ripto
Road Master

I'm not sure it's a flexibility issue as I play goalie in hockey almost year round so I'm pretty limber as is. It's sitting in that position that gets me. I've ridden a Yamaha V-Star and the wide frame and feet up high on the boards is even worse.

I'm not sure I follow when you say I can set it up like my old bike. My last bike had forwards and an engine guard with highway pegs. I managed to dig up a picture.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:32 PM
Nick 93
Tourer

I meant that you should put an engine guard on your bike like your last one because it opens up a lot of possibilities as far as where to place your feet. Are you going for a certain style or look where you don't want to have crash bars? I know dk customs makes an extension for forward controls but I believe it's only 2" or so.

The 6" extension you posted a link to is the farthest out I think you can go and would probably be your best bet. Also consider that a seat or handlebar change can also make a big difference. I used to have mini apes, a taller seat, and forward controls. I was looking at the dk customs extension but I don't think I'd go farther than that. My bike was extremely comfortable the way I had it set up. I've since changed my bike a good bit. By the way, how tall are you?

Edit: Just saw you refuse to put engine guards on a Nightster. Disregard what I said about engine guards. 6" extension is what you should probably go with.

Last edited by Nick 93; 07-26-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:35 AM
ripto
Road Master

I think the 6" extension might be the best bet as well. I am 6' 1", with 32" length pants. I literally could not ride the bike when it still had mids on it. Yeah, no engine guard on the Nightster.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:32 AM
19Sparrow87
Tourer

I know how you feel about needing further out controls. 6'4 with 34 in the pants length. I think I'll be doing these 6" extensions as well as DK Customs has a solo seat that drops you back 2". Did 400 miles on stock seat and standard forwards, I hurt the next day.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:36 PM
ripto
Road Master

Yeah I can imagine how bad it is for you. Ordered the kit today. Only thing is I'll have to find a local place to powdercoat the linkages to match the brackets.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:51 PM
19Sparrow87
Tourer

I'm actually going to invest in my own powdercoating setup. Figure after cost and all the small stuff I need done, I'll come out ahead.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:39 AM
BensonUK
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

DK Customs do a kit that moves the pegs 2 inches further forward.
I had looked myself as I do end up resting my ankles over my current pegs just to stretch out my legs

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Forw...PT-FWD-EXT.htm

Old 07-29-2016, 07:58 PM
ripto
Road Master

Saw those. In reality I don't think 2" will do much for me. If I stretch out over the pegs, the heel of my boots come dangerously close to the road.

Quick Reply: Extended Forward Controls