Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A tank bag on 883? Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 11:16 AM
brandnew
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A tank bag on 883? Any suggestions?

I am thinking to get a tank bag. I think it is much better than a back pack sometimes, e.g. a long ride. There are quite some options on Amazon but i dont know if they fit my 883.
I rarely see people put a tank bag on their Harley though.

Any one has used a tank bag on a Sportster?

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Haven't used a tank bag, seems it would be a pita for gas stops, and wonder what it would do to the paint. I have a smallish bag that ties to the sissy bar and sits on the small rear luggage rack, and a bigger one (probably larger than most tank bags) that ties to the sissy bar and seat. Depending on the seat and position, can be a backrest, too.

This is the larger bag; if you have a sissy bar (supposed to be able to use it without one), might be an alternative to a tank bag. There are larger and smaller styles, too.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycl...ag/115406.html

Old 08-06-2016, 11:54 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts
Old 08-06-2016, 05:20 PM
xraytoken
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought a tank bag would be a good idea just for some extra stuff on a long trip. Not so much. A small amount of grit got under the bag and scratched the hell out of the paint. Never again. Most tank bags are made with a backing that's non abrasive, but it only take a small amount of sand etc. between the bag and the tank to screw up the tank finish. Leave the tank bags for the farklers.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:56 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts
Old 08-07-2016, 04:22 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Cortech magnetic. They come in different sizes, expandable, and stay in place at speed. Easily switched to another bike, helps break the wind blast, and are super easy for gas stops. I never ride without one.

https://www.amazon.com/Cortech-Super...netic+tank+bag

Last edited by LoneWoolf; 08-07-2016 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I have a small Givi magnetic for my Sporty, which doesn't cover the filler, but as my main luggage is a pair of qd LeatherPro saddlebags I don't use a large capacity tankbag. I have used them for many years, including my Firebolts, and they are only as much trouble when refuelling as you make them! As long as you don't use a huge one and load it with lots of heavy stuff they are a great place to put luggage. I grimace when looking at some Harley and other custom bikes with all their stuff hanging out the back.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:46 AM
frannieannie
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i use a tank bag on my 1200 sportster. I picked it up at cyclegear for $49.99 - but it was on sale so i paid less than that price. here's the link: https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...-como-tank-bag. it has a strong magnetic backing. but i do have to warn you it does scratch the tank - but then I'm careless. I'll tell you how strong the magnet was. I took the bag off at a gas station to fll up. I plop it on my back fender, forgot all about and drove off. About 2 miles down the road i realized what i did and panicked because my wallet and other stuff was in it. was i surprised when i discovered the bag stayed on the fender 2 miles down the road. Just be careful, it does scratch the tank if you're not careful taking it off.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:51 PM
brandnew
Intermediate

This is an update -
I eventually bought the following two items

1. ROK straps

2. 15"x15" PowerTyeŽ Mfg Cargo Net featuring 6 Adjustable Hooks & Tight 2"x2" Mesh, Black

I found ROK Straps served the purpose very well, which are able to fix a much larger bag than a tank bag. Now I put my Harley backpack behind me under the straps rather than carrying it on my back. This very well solved the problem and I may not need a tank bag for now.

As to the 2nd item, cargo net, I am not using it at all and left it in the dust for now. My Iron does not have a sissy bar or a rear rack installed, so the hooks have nowhere to hook safely.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:59 PM
brandnew
Intermediate

Also, I keep the straps attached on my bike all the time. Whenever i need to carry my backpack, i simple buckle and tighten, very convenient.

Quick Reply: A tank bag on 883? Any suggestions?