Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropped now a copper colored leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:52 PM
joshc19
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dropped now a copper colored leak

Hey everyone, I dropped my bike the other day and now there's a copper colored leak coming out of a circle on the top of the handle bar (next to the part that the rear view mirror is connected to) on the left side. It isnt very much, it looks like there is just a little bit but Im not sure if its because I dropped it or if thats normal. I only have about 52.5 miles on it.

Thanks,
Josh

Old 12-28-2007, 12:58 PM
metal_mike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: dropped now a copper colored leak

that's just the lube used for your levers [clutch & brake]
no biggie wipe 'er off and move on....

Old 12-28-2007, 01:05 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep.....The good news is @ 57.8 miles it stops falling over with you.

BUT.....from now and forever you gotta make certain that YOU don't spring no leaks.

Seriously.....share with us how it ended up up ended......I promise not to laff, and I swear not to tell.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:20 PM
joshc19
Intermediate

I was making a slow tight right turn and it just fell over, I tried to hold it up but at 150 lbs theres only so much I can do. These bikes are a lot heavier than the yamaha that I used in the MSF course. I was busy trying to look cool too, as my friend was taking picture of me riding around, but instead of snapping one with me on the ground he ran over to help me up, I know if the same happened to him the first thing I would do would be to take a pic so I could make fun of him for years. On the first day! the bike didn't even have 12 miles on it!

Old 12-28-2007, 01:24 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: joshc19

I was making a slow tight right turn and it just fell over, I tried to hold it up but at 150 lbs theres only so much I can do. These bikes are a lot heavier than the yamaha that I used in the MSF course. I was busy trying to look cool too, as my friend was taking picture of me riding around, but instead of snapping one with me on the ground he ran over to help me up, I know if the same happened to him the first thing I would do would be to take a pic so I could make fun of him for years. On the first day! the bike didn't even have 12 miles on it!
Make sure to lean to the outside of the turn when going slow. Think about it this way, you got the drop out out of the way early, now enjoy the ride.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:25 PM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

josh-

welcome to the club- you are now officially orientated!!!I had never, ever dumped a scooter in the past 20+ years of riding until this fall. was pulling the g/f's superglide into the barn on wet grass(dam those 160 tires!!).

glad you are ok. though sounds like the pride might be damaged a touch...

Old 12-28-2007, 01:35 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned

Yes,...Take pics and never let them forget!

Ok, ok........New to Harleys, huh?.......I guess you figured out the sporty is kinda tall and top heavy and hard to ease around in slow tight maneuvers.

Try this.........Get out somewhere large, paved, clean, level and PRIVATE. Then start practicing......First and foremost-DO NOT touch front brake when in really slow tight turns- just keep a full grip on throttle and work the throttle and clutch together.......Learn to slip the clutch cause you can't hurt it seeing as how it is a wet clutch....AND keep both feet on pegs with slight pressure on rear brake whenever you are making those slow maneuvers....Learn to always stop fully with right foot up and on brake using only left foot for support once stopped.

The front brake will roll you over as soon as you touch it....It will roll you over in the direction you are turning........The throttle will counteract the tendancy for the bike to want to fall over in the direction you are turning if you don't touch brake but ain't going fast enuff for the lean angle.....Slipping the clutch allows you to control how much throttle actually gets applied to rear wheel because we all know Harleys don't like super slow speeds and the clutch must be slipped.

Google up "friction zone" and start reading.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:45 PM
fiveinthelive
Cruiser

I got mine this past summer and have dropped it twice .....once backing into the garage (Lost balance )and once at the gas station (forgot the kickstand) makes you wanna throw up for sure.

for those asking how could you forget the kick stand, ithought i already put it down LOL
the only damage was to my pride.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:53 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I've learned the hard way.....bike goes where your nose goes! Look down and adios baby....

Old 12-28-2007, 01:54 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned

I guess you are reading and digesting the first part.

Let's break it down and get you ready for your first practice session............Go find the area I described and first try this:

Take off straight and let her idle along in first gear with clutch fully out...while idling, start turning circles.....start with large circles till you feel comfortable and slowly shorten them.....both directions by the way.....Large figure eights in fact if you have room......Keep doing turns while idlingwith clutch out fully and then shorten the circles gradually till yo feel you are going too fast for the turn....THAT is when you reach for the clutch and twist the throttle up.......THAT is when you are entering the friction zone..........Once there, stop getting smaller till you master clutch and throttle control in the friction zone, then place you right foot on rear brake and get even smaller with the turns.

In no more than 2-3 hours you will be a ballerina with no blood stains on your tutu.....I promise.

Quick Reply: dropped now a copper colored leak