Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runs after turned off and smokes!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:38 AM
ssbogger
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Runs after turned off and smokes!

This has happened about 4 times now and kind of worries me. Sometimes after riding for a while (45min or so) I park the bike and flip the switch to Off. Most of the time she'll cut right off like a good girl and I'm happy. Now I get a little upset when she doesn't act like she's supposed to, sputtering and coughing when I hit the Off switch. This sputter/cough only lasts for a few seconds and is followed by a puff of smoke coming somewhere from the engine area.

I haven't rejetted the carb yet (waiting on one jet) and I have Samson exhaust w/out baffels. Not sure if this info is relevant but it may be.

Anyone know what disease my girl has?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Runs after turned off and smokes!

You say you haven't rejetted, but did you already add an aftermarket AC?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Your problem is commonly called dieseling.

First, the smoke you are seeing is the result of a backfire through the carb. with the smoke coming out of the air filter. The backfire is caused by the dieseling.

Dieseling can be caused by several things, the first of which is too low an octane gas. This often gets worse as the weather gets hotter. If you are running 87 octane, you might try using a few tanks of 89 and see if it doesn't eliminate the issue. You could also try switching to another Name Brand gas like Shell, Chevron, Sunoco, Texaco.

Carbon buildup on the cylinder heads can also cause dieseling. You could try cleaning it by injecting Seafoam directly into the carb. throat. The instruction for doing this are on the back of the can.

Note: going to larger jets, will if anything, make the dieseling worse, not better.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:21 AM
ssbogger
Advanced

ORIGINAL: cHarley

Your problem is commonly called dieseling.

First, the smoke you are seeing is the result of a backfire through the carb. with the smoke coming out of the air filter. The backfire is caused by the dieseling.

Dieseling can be caused by several things, the first of which is too low an octane gas. This often gets worse as the weather gets hotter. If you are running 87 octane, you might try using a few tanks of 89 and see if it doesn't eliminate the issue. You could also try switching to another Name Brand gas like Shell, Chevron, Sunoco, Texaco.

Carbon buildup on the cylinder heads can also cause dieseling. You could try cleaning it by injecting Seafoam directly into the carb. throat. The instruction for doing this are on the back of the can.

Note: going to larger jets, will if anything, make the dieseling worse, not better.
First, answer to the first response is yes, there is an aftermarket AC but I did not put it on. It was already on there when I bought the bike and I have no idea what brand it is.

Good info. I have been using 87 per the manual and actually just filled up this morning. Next tank I'll use 89 or 93.

If you have the time could you explain exactly what is happening inside engine to make this happen? I'm just curious and like to know how things work.

My first thought was that there was unburnt fuel in the engine but then I didn't understand how it was ingniting after power had been cut. Now that you use the term "dieseling" I guess my gas engine is acting like a diesel running without spark plugs?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:27 AM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As cHarley said, if there is carbon on the piston tops, it glows for a few seconds and ignites any unburned fuel.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:29 AM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member

try a search might find some advise there

Old 05-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Too high of a idle speed will also contribute to dieseling

Old 05-13-2008, 10:19 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

ORIGINAL: liltrk

As cHarley said, if there is carbon on the piston tops, it glows for a few seconds and ignites any unburned fuel.
That's correct, and if you couple glowing carbon with low octane fuel, which has a lower flash point than higher octane, dieseling (ignition without spark) can result. The hotter the motor is, the more likely it is to occur.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:04 PM
ssbogger
Advanced

Ok it makes sense to me now. Thanks guys.

I'm gonna raise the octane of the gas I use and adjust the idle speed. It sounds a little high right now.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:44 PM
grn2k1civic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also try to start using chevron because they have techron which should help the carbon build up if any in your cylinders.

Quick Reply: Runs after turned off and smokes!