Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Ride to Work

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:06 PM
The Savage Rabbit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Ride to Work

I'm riding my 1200R to work tomorrow for the first time.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Can't car pool with the wife tomorrow/ less gas than my Tacoma TRD/ show the bike to a few coworkers.&nbsp\\; I'm taking the 101 South to the 405 South and exiting at either Santa Monica or Olympic.&nbsp\\; I don't plan to split lanes.&nbsp\\; I've seen some baaaaad driving on those freeways.&nbsp\\; But, I sure want to ride to work at least once.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I'm not sure if I am more&nbsp\\;apprehensive than excited or excited than apprehensive.&nbsp\\; Just thought I'd share.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:26 PM
beendad
Road Warrior
Default RE: First Ride to Work

Thats gonna be a blast for you... Have you been riding long? Ive got relatives in the LA area and I took my Sporty down there a couple of times, never been on the 405, but I know there are some crazy ***** on the 5 down there! Good luck!

Old 07-08-2008, 04:33 PM
SHTFIT
Road Captain

The first time out, you'll probably be real nervous for a few miles. Eventually, you will settle into the pace and relax a bit. But it will still be an event as it seems it's your first time.
Tomorrow morning, you will wanna do it again! It will much easier and less stressful the 2nd time. IMO, If you make the trek every day for a week, it will become routine and much more enjoyable.

Just be real careful of your lane position and be attentive of what the drivers around you may or may not do.

Good luck and have fun - Be safe.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:17 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey your in LA! finally someone from around here.

i went to yosemite in my&nbsp\\; '08 tacoma (got new truck) last week, up the 101 and 5 and i saw some really stupid moves by cars and bikers alike....

just be smart, stay where your most visible and try not to be directly beside another car.

something i do is everytime i pass or come up to a car i look inside and just make eye contact with the person, not to be intimidating in any way, just so they are more aware of me. try it, dont be afraid to smile. not EVERYONE is out to kill you, thats a bad mentality to have.

have fun, im sure you will be using the bike as a daily driver soon enough

Old 07-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Langley
Intermediate

Started yesterday taking my bike into work. Don't hit the interstate as I feel the back roads into work would be more fun. Have to say it has been a LONG time that I had a big smile on my face the whole time going to work.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:25 PM
plysat
Tourer

Hell, I haven't driven my truck to work since I got this bike in March. Hardly ever commuted on my 883, this one has some evil power over me though, it demands to be ridden.[\\] I'm still a little nervous on the freeways here (I'm in LA too), though I guess statistically city streets are more dangerous.
Have a great ride!

Old 07-08-2008, 05:35 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive the 405 everyday to work. I live in Northridge and work in Santa Monica so I know all about the 405.&nbsp\\; Just be really careful man, there are some dumbasses on the 405 in the morning. I've seen 3 bikers down on the 405 the last 3 years, which might not seem like alot, but 3 too many for me.&nbsp\\; I haven't rode to work yet on my bike because of the fact that people drive stupid on that freeway.
&nbsp\\;
All in all, you should be fine though. Its actually a nice ride. Might even consider taking Sepulveda through the pass. Little more scenic and twisty.
&nbsp\\;
Good luck man! I'll be looking for you! haha

Old 07-08-2008, 05:40 PM
The Savage Rabbit
Cruiser

I've taken the freeway all the way up to Solvang and am pretty comfortable on it (the 101 at least).&nbsp\\; But there is something about the 101/405 interchange that is intimidating.&nbsp\\; It's as if everyone begins planning their trip in the last 100 yards before the road splits and everyone on the left side goes right and everyone on the rightside goes left.&nbsp\\; I'm usually in the middle wondering why everyone waited until the last second.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
FWIW I love my 07 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Double Cab.&nbsp\\; Great hunting truck.&nbsp\\; I just don't want to pay for the gas to commute anymore.&nbsp\\; That and I think riding to work would be like a little slice of the weekend on Wednesday.&nbsp\\; Like eating your desert before you finish dinner.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 05:44 PM
tmathers
Intermediate

I hope you have a great time! I commute to work every day on Los Angeles freeways from Orange County and do split lanes, either on my VROD or 2007 Sportster. (I don't own a car now). My advise is to be 100% attentive to your driving and avoid other driver's "blind spots". I find most folks are nice and will make room for a biker in heavy traffic once they know you're there. Be attentive to lane changers who do not signal. But most of all enjoy the ride.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:46 PM
The Savage Rabbit
Cruiser

I'm borrowing someone's parking space right in front of the building entrance so I can keep an eye on it.&nbsp\\; Since it'll be where everyone can see it, I'm going to wash and polish it tonight.&nbsp\\; I'm also going to park it so the pipe side (the side with more chrome) faces the path to the door.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I'm surprised I've spent this much time thinking about this.&nbsp\\; If my Roadster starts talking to me, I'll seek help.&nbsp\\; Unless it tells me not to.

Quick Reply: First Ride to Work