Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo seat with throwover Saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:40 PM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solo seat with throwover Saddlebags?

I'm going to get a new solo seat next week and I'm wondering if I'll be able to ride with my throwover saddlebags still or if they won't stay in place with the solo seat? I've got the rigid mounted plates and sissybar right now...so will it work or will I have to remove the bags when I'm using the solo seat? Probably getting a C&C Solo seat.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:23 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use these from time to time it is a set of stock El Cheapo Harley bags that I had shortened, you just take out the one bolt hold on the seat and throw them on when you need them, they are big enough to hold a six pack of beer as long as you put 1/2 in each bag.

Attached Thumbnails Solo seat with throwover Saddlebags?-copy-of-dsc01754.jpg  

Last edited by jag1886; 01-16-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:24 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i want to see pics when you get the new seat...
havent seen a solo seat with a sissy bar-
i have a hard mounted sissy bar too and have been thinking of going with a solo seat

Old 01-16-2009, 10:15 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

Ya...I'm kinda worried about the looks of it too. I'll try it out and see what I think. But I'm leaning toward getting it. I couldn't keep my detachable set up if I wanted the throwover bags. We'll see soon enough...

Old 01-16-2009, 11:30 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the thing, I've done this before, don't put your throw over bags over the back fender without a seat on top of them to hold them down it will slowly but surely destroy your paint.Maybe you could bolt it down with one of the extra mounting points on the fender but if the yoke of the bags can move around at all it will wear through your paint like sandpaper.If I had known better I would have run mine like jag1886 that would surely hold them secure and who cares if you f up the paint under the seat anyway.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:43 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

I didn't get the solo seat. Chuck is a REALLY friendly guy there. The place is small but they have some really cool seats. However, he didn't recommend that I get one. I didn't want to be raised up or back. What he did do though was to shave off some of the side of my stock seat and put a gel insert into it. It took them about 30 minutes and I really like it better now. No need for a whole new seat. I'd HIGHLY recommend C&C Seats if you're in the market. But for the newer Sportsters, HD has already slammed the seat down as much as possible, so for us not so tall guys, keeping the stock works if you can tweak it right.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:26 AM
seamuswarren
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jag1886
I use these from time to time it is a set of stock El Cheapo Harley bags that I had shortened, you just take out the one bolt hold on the seat and throw them on when you need them, they are big enough to hold a six pack of beer as long as you put 1/2 in each bag.
Brilliant! I wanna do something along these lines on my Low Rider and use he fender for even more bags if I go on a trip. Pillions are not part of the equation. One worry for me is the bags rubbing against the frame when the bike is in motion and wearing off paint.Only takes a little bit of running over a prolonged period to cause a problem.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:24 AM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by seamuswarren
Brilliant! I wanna do something along these lines on my Low Rider and use he fender for even more bags if I go on a trip. Pillions are not part of the equation. One worry for me is the bags rubbing against the frame when the bike is in motion and wearing off paint.Only takes a little bit of running over a prolonged period to cause a problem.

This has been my solution.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:41 AM
Dawgies
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

A solo rack did the trick for me.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:54 PM
mshred
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

My custom came with bags, and I hate the look of bags and how the ones I have in particular need that hard mounted support behind the bag.

Going to Daytona in March and need a place to keep a jacket and some water....debating between dual solo bags, my saddle bags hard mounted, or maybe a luggage rack....haven't figured it out yet, but I have a le Pera bare bones solo seat that has to work with it too

Quick Reply: Solo seat with throwover Saddlebags?