Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging Battery on a Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:40 AM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Charging Battery on a Nightster

Hi All,

My boy let the battery go flat on his Nightster. Does anyone know if the battery can be charged without removing it from the bike?

Thanks

Old 03-17-2009, 11:44 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a Battery Tender (by DELTRAN) to charge the battery while in the bike/car. Comes with alligator clips but I leave the wiring harness on the bike so don't have to remove the seat when I charge.

Last edited by kromdom; 03-17-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:12 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

kromdom, thanks. The little bugger has been promising me he would get a battery tender all winter. Kids, huh!

Old 03-17-2009, 03:05 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A battery tender will not charge a completely dead battery. If you have, I believe, the Battery Tender Plus, then it will act as both a tender or as a charger. You'll need a charger. If your brother has a battery pigtail installed on the bike, then a Tender Plus may be enough to charge the bike to start, but only after sitting on charge probably overnight.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:43 PM
bhtx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need to take the batter off.....just clip on the positive and then find a ground....there is a good one on the back side of the engine close to the battery.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:50 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also ground it to where the negative battery cable grounds to the frame.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
A battery tender will not charge a completely dead battery. If you have, I believe, the Battery Tender Plus, then it will act as both a tender or as a charger. You'll need a charger. If your brother has a battery pigtail installed on the bike, then a Tender Plus may be enough to charge the bike to start, but only after sitting on charge probably overnight.
Huh? Of course a Battery Tender will charge a completely dead battery (assuming that the battery is not sulfated or otherwise damaged/defective). It will just take a very long time because you're only looking at a 750 to 800 milliamp charge rate. That means that it would take about 25 hours for a Battery Tender to charge a 20 amp-hour motorcycle battery while a 6 amp bench charger would only take 3.3 hours. Even a Battery Tender Plus will only manage a 1.25 amp charging rate so it would need 16 hours to recharge the battery in my example.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:48 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenmervolt
Huh? Of course a Battery Tender will charge a completely dead battery (assuming that the battery is not sulfated or otherwise damaged/defective). It will just take a very long time because you're only looking at a 750 to 800 milliamp charge rate. That means that it would take about 25 hours for a Battery Tender to charge a 20 amp-hour motorcycle battery while a 6 amp bench charger would only take 3.3 hours. Even a Battery Tender Plus will only manage a 1.25 amp charging rate so it would need 16 hours to recharge the battery in my example.
According to Deltran, the mfg. of the "Battery Tender" (tm), the single stage Battery Tender Jr. can not be used to recharge a stone dead battery. It doesn't have enough amps to overcome the dead state. The 2 stage Battery Tender Plus can be used to bring back a stone dead battery but it will take ~18+ hours.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenmervolt
Huh? Of course a Battery Tender will charge a completely dead battery (assuming that the battery is not sulfated or otherwise damaged/defective).
I'm no battery expert, and don't claim to be.........BUT, I've never seen it done, not even on a quad or lawn tractor battery that takes less cranking power...., but if you say so.

Last edited by WVHogRider; 03-18-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
I'm no battery expert, and don't claim to be.........BUT, I've never seen it done, not even on a quad or lawn tractor battery that takes less cranking power...., but if you say so.
If a battery has sulfated or become otherwise damaged, then yes, a small battery tender won't work. But those are cases where the battery has become damaged and may need a conditioner to charge. In those cases, the battery needs to be replaced instead of just charged because it has gone past the point of no return.

The following comes verbatim from the manual for my 800 milliamp waterproof model:

TIME REQUIRED TO CHARGE A BATTERY:
The WATERPROOF DELTRAN BATTERY TENDER® International Battery
Chargers charge at a rate of either 0.8 Amps (0.8 Amp-Hours per hour) or 1.25 Amps (1.25 Amp-Hours per hour). Therefore, a fully discharged 15 Amp-Hour battery will take approximately 15 hours or 9.6 hours respectively, to recharge to 80% capacity. Some large automotive or marine, deep cycle type batteries may take several days to fully recharge.

WORKING WITH A DEAD BATTERY OR A BATTERY WITH A VERY
LOW VOLTAGE:
If you try to charge a dead battery having a voltage below 3 Volts, the
WATERPROOF DELTRAN BATTERY TENDER® International Battery Chargers will not start to charge because an internal safety circuit prevents the battery chargers from generating any DC output voltage.
NOTE:
If a 12 Volt, Lead-Acid battery has an output voltage of less than 9 volts when it is at rest, when it is neither being charged nor supplying electrical current to an external load, there is a good chance that the battery is defective. As a frame of reference, a fully charged 12-Volt, Lead-Acid battery will have a reststate, no-load voltage of approximately 12.9 volts. A fully discharged 12-Volt, Lead-Acid battery will have a rest-state, no-load voltage of approximately 11.4 volts. That means that a voltage change of only 1.5 volts represents the full range of charge 0% to 100% on a 12-Volt, Lead-Acid battery. Depending on the manufacturer, and the age of the battery, the specific voltages will vary by a few tenths of a volt, but the 1.5-volt range will still be a good indicator of the battery charge %.
Note that a battery has to be below 3 volts (which is far beyond the 11.4 volt threshold for being dead) before it cannot be recharged with the little 800 milliamp charger. A battery that has gone down below 9 volts should be replaced as a matter of policy anyway, so the point is moot. If the Battery Tender cannot charge the battery, the battery isn't worth trying to save anyway.

Furthermore, if you look up the manual for the Battery Tender Plus, you'll find that even those models will not charge batteries that drop below 3 volts.

I say again, if the battery is not damaged, even a little Battery Tender Jr or waterproof model will be able to fully charge it, you're just looking at it taking a few days. Most of us (myself included) are not willing to wait that long and would rather just throw the battery on the 10 amp bench charger for a couple hours instead, but if you don't have any other options, the maintainers can do it.

Last edited by Zenmervolt; 03-18-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Charging Battery on a Nightster