Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about changing the inner primary cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Questions about changing the inner primary cover

I plan to change the stock powdercoated primary cover to chrome. I picked up the gasket and o-rings and have read the shop manual. I still have a couple of questions.

First, I realize I have to remove the drain plug and drain out all the oil.

My main question is how do I remove the primary chain tensioner and clutch cable connection from the cover?? They seem to be the only other items I have to remove to change the cover. Or is there more to it? Based on what I was reading in the American Cycle mag, I would have to remove the 'clutch adjustment mechanism' before the cover will come off. The manual seems to say the same thing.

I plan to measure the current setting of the tensioner and return it to this setting once the cover changeout is complete. How would I remove and replace the clutch adjuster correctly?

How long do you think this whole job should take??

BTW as part of this project I'm doing the right side of the engine as well. I've already replaced the stock drive pulley cover with a chrome version and I'm awaiting the delivery of the chrome cam cover. I'm just putting on the 'skin' cover over the cam section cuz I don't wanna mess around with the cams and gears inside.

Any info will be appreciated!!!

Forgot to mention it's an '04 XLC with forwards.

Last edited by gilmour68; 05-03-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Learned a bit more about the subject.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
stng_96
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, first of all, sporties only have just the one cover, they don't have an inner and outer cover like the big twins do. Second, i am bit confused by the post, but I gather that you are not getting just a cover to bolt on top of the old one, but one to replace the current one. In that case, you should do as you said, measure your settings for the clutch, and remove the cable. Shouldn't be that bad, maybe a two beer job.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:19 PM
gilmour68
Road Master

Well I called it the "inner primary" because that's what the guy at the counter at the stealership called it. Prior to that I would have just called it the primary engine cover. I just changed the language in the original post to prevent further confusion.

I was wondering how the tensioner works and how to remove it quickly and properly. I know there's a nut on the underside of the cover that is adjusted to take up tension in the primary chain, but I'm unsure of how it interfaces with the chain.

I also now believe I have to remove the "clutch adjustment mechanism" in order to remove the cover.

Any insight will be appreciated...

UPDATE - I did see an article about changing out the starter on an older Sporty and it mentions an 'inner primary' so I guess it does exist. It's the engine component the starter is mounted to. I was, however, using the wrong terminology in my original post. I'm changing the outer primary cover.

Last edited by gilmour68; 05-03-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:31 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by gilmour68
(Snip some)

UPDATE - I did see an article about changing out the starter on an older Sporty and it mentions an 'inner primary' so I guess it does exist. It's the engine component the starter is mounted to. I was, however, using the wrong terminology in my original post. I'm changing the outer primary cover.
Article was wrong. Sportsters and the predecessor K Models have always been unit construction - engine & tranny in one set of cases - so there has never been an inner primary.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:54 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok as far as your chain tessioner, the chain just rides on it and you move the tessioner up and down to increase or decrease slack, yr book will tell you what the right slack amount should be and you can do that threw the inspection cover oncethe new primary is back on. as far as you clutch cable, just pop yr derby off pull out the spring and unscrew the center screw (youll see what i mean) unscrew till it pops off then slide the clutch adjustment thingy (my technical term for the ramp and bairing clutch smash) out, flip it aournd clockwise to releas the clutch cable and just unscrew the cable sheath at the base of the primary. '

one very odd thing about your post... the 04 1200C came stock with the primary, cam cover, rockers, all that was chrome sooooooo whats up with that??

Old 05-04-2009, 06:53 AM
gilmour68
Road Master

The XL883C doesn't have the chrome, the XL1200C does. Completely powdercoated. Engine casing and polished rocker covers. Mine was punched out to a 1200 and I'm doing the engine covers myself.

Last edited by gilmour68; 05-04-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:42 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The XL883C doesn't have the chrome, the XL1200C does. Completely powdercoated. Engine casing and polished rocker covers. Mine was punched out to a 1200 and I'm doing the engine covers myself.

ooooo i seeeeee

Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 AM
kelton3
Tourer

While you have the cover off, check the front primary sprocket shaft nut. These have a tendency to loosen after time, due to under-torque and no locktite from factory. I would put red locktite, and re-torque it. The torque lbs. is incredibly high as indicated in the service manuals.

For a couple of months I had a rattle/knocking noise, nobody could figure this out, then I read a thread about this nut, sure enough I pulled the primary cover, and there it was just hanging at the end of the shaft. I was jumping for joy when I found this was the problem.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:00 PM
gilmour68
Road Master

What type of rattle/knock were you hearing? Was it constant or just at higher RPMS?

I'm asking because I have a knock at higher RPMs and I'm trying to figure out where it's coming from.

It sounds to me like the noise is coming from the left side of the engine. Maybe it's the noise I'm hearing.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:50 PM
kelton3
Tourer

What type of rattle/knock were you hearing? Was it constant or just at higher RPMS?

I'm asking because I have a knock at higher RPMs and I'm trying to figure out where it's coming from.

It sounds to me like the noise is coming from the left side of the engine. Maybe it's the noise I'm hearing.
Mine is a 1991 xlh 1200. I could definitely hear this at idle or with a slight throttle. I couldn't hear this once I got going, probably because it was drowned out by the other engine noises. When I pulled the cover off the nut was just hanging there at the end of the shaft and was actually bouncing back and forth from the shaft and hitting the primary cover, it was totally stripped.

You may be able to feel the rattle with your hand on the primary cover at idle and with some throttle. One key indicator it may be the nut is there is no loss of performance and it doesn't get faster or louder at speed. Not sure if this is your problem. If you do remove the cover, re-torque that sucker anyway.

Quick Reply: Questions about changing the inner primary cover