Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roland Sands vintage bar question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 03:20 PM
jb7
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hijack this thread, but how did you mount those front turn signals?

Originally Posted by WH1ZZER
Strange about the bars not fitting snug....mine seem to fit just fine without any packing!

Old 06-17-2014, 02:38 PM
partlowr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is older than dirt but in using the thread search tool this is the closest thread I could find that is on topic to my question pertaining to RSD Vintage Ape handlebars.

....so my question is has anyone installed the RSD Vintage Apes(12" rise) on a Sportster Seventy-Two? If so did the stock cables/wires work? I just ordered a set today but did not order cables yet. I am no geometry wizard but based on the specs of the bars(rise, width and pullback) on the RSD site it looks like it will put the controls at almost the exact height of my stock 10" mini apes. I know the length on the internal wiring might be about an inch or so longer than stock but it appears the factory left me some slack that should cover it. Plus I think the narrow overall width of the RSD Vintage Apes(6.5") vs the stock 9" width will also buy be a couple inches.

I know the proper way to do this is take everything apart install the new bars and then measure out for cables but I am trying to minimize downtime seeign that it is prime riding season here in Chicago. Any feedback you guys have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Sweforty8
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by partlowr
I know this thread is older than dirt but in using the thread search tool this is the closest thread I could find that is on topic to my question pertaining to RSD Vintage Ape handlebars.

....so my question is has anyone installed the RSD Vintage Apes(12" rise) on a Sportster Seventy-Two? If so did the stock cables/wires work? I just ordered a set today but did not order cables yet. I am no geometry wizard but based on the specs of the bars(rise, width and pullback) on the RSD site it looks like it will put the controls at almost the exact height of my stock 10" mini apes. I know the length on the internal wiring might be about an inch or so longer than stock but it appears the factory left me some slack that should cover it. Plus I think the narrow overall width of the RSD Vintage Apes(6.5") vs the stock 9" width will also buy be a couple inches.

I know the proper way to do this is take everything apart install the new bars and then measure out for cables but I am trying to minimize downtime seeign that it is prime riding season here in Chicago. Any feedback you guys have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Good news for you...you won't need new cables or wires! If you haven't done a wire tuck you might need to remove some zip ties to gain some extra length for your electrical wires. Hopefully you'll wire the bars internally, so you'll be cutting some zip ties anyways.

Good luck and post some pics when you're done!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:24 AM
partlowr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sweforty8
Good news for you...you won't need new cables or wires! If you haven't done a wire tuck you might need to remove some zip ties to gain some extra length for your electrical wires. Hopefully you'll wire the bars internally, so you'll be cutting some zip ties anyways.

Good luck and post some pics when you're done!
Thanks for the info, you made my day. As for the wire tuck, yes, I have done some poking around and noticed there is some extra length down where everthing meets up behind/under the triple clamp, just did not know if it would be enough for internal wiring through the bars. UPS tracking number says the bars will be delivered today, along with some new Vance and Hines Straight Shots, a Vance and Hines Fuel Pak and Vance and Hines V02 Intake Air Cleaner Kit.

I already put a chrome swingarm and chrome fork lowers on it along with the old school white Harley spring solo seat. I have a pair of white viantge grips going ont he new bars as well.

I will post pics as soon as the bars are installed which should hopefully be this weekend.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:17 AM
jeffrob07
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm installing carlini design 10" evil apes on my wife's 2012 iron 883. I am going to order magnum shielding black pearl cables. My question is, should I be safe with +4" on everything?

Old 06-22-2014, 03:32 PM
jeffrob07
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nobody can help with this?