Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil breather problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 11:08 PM
hawkeye1734
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil breather problems

Big issue with my 05 sporty. ever since bike was new i have oil in my air filter,side of bike,pipes you get the picture. My h-d dealer says all sportys do it . My dad has one and doesn't have any issues with it. I've tried putting a hypercharger air cleaner with there breather set up. also running my owe breather setup down to the bottom of bike .But i still get alot of oil out of my air cleaner. Right now i have syn 3 oil in it with a hypercharger air cleaner and breather set-up, vance and hines short shots pipes with torque cones, and i rejetted the carb any help would be great!!!

Old 06-01-2006, 02:30 PM
NEW2HD
Cruiser
Default RE: oil breather problems

I definitely feel your pain. I have a 03 1200 C Anniversary and I polished my chrome, etc. Took the bike out, and although I never run it hard, I do kick it a little bit every now and then. Well, I get back from a ride and noticed oil on my pipes. Grrrrrrrr. Called the dealer, and service guy said there is nothing to really do except take the ham can off every 500 miles and wipe the puddle of oil out and snap it back on....good to go for another five hundred. Said there is no way to completely cure it....oh well. I just consider it maintenance.

I had them service it when I got it, I had already put 100 miles on it before it went in. They put another filter in the ham can $21, and no oil splash yet.....although I look after every trip.

I am going to go with the K&N filter for the factory ham can eventually, $66 dollars....ouch....gotta save for that one.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:34 PM
SportsterCraig
Cruiser

Im not saying that all the new sportys dont do it but my 97 doesnt put oil in the air cleaner.But when I change oil I only put in 3 quarts of oil and no more.I have heard a lot of people complain on this problem and surprises me that mine doesnt do it..lol
But they do make a a breather kit but I see from reading your post again you have allready tried that.Wish I could be more help but I dont know what else you could do to fix it.Hope you figure it out.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:10 PM
SportsterCraig
Cruiser

I also belong to another forum and this doesnt sound like a sportster only problem.I did a search on the other forum and it came up with a few discussions on this oil problem.you might want to read some of the discussions and see if any of them help.
Here is the link
http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/se...id=29897&pp=25

Old 06-01-2006, 11:13 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had that on my WG forever........started using Mobil 1 and filled it with just a tad less oil, gone, no more drips

Old 06-01-2006, 11:48 PM
92XLH
Advanced

I did a reply on a similar question about a month ago in this section. This blowby is normal and it can be cured with a crankcase breather kit available for about $32 from your Harley dealer. The kit replaces the two hollow breather bolts with shorter ones and uses a device to route the oil out of the air cleaner through a hose onto the ground. Installation is easy and takes about an hour or less. The only evidence is a chromed u-shaped tube above and in back of the air cleaner cover and, of course, the drip tube. I bought a piece of fuel line about two feet long to replace the one foot tube that came with the kit. I then ran it back to have it hang down slightly in front of the rear tire. You could look up my previous post for more information and you can get more info by going to The Sportster Homepage technical section.

The kit really works and is well worth the cost and effort.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:49 PM
lschultz
Road Master

My son had this problem on his 05. He bought one of those air filters from NHRS and there oil breather kit. When he changes oil he puts in 3 qts or maybe a little more but he doesn't have any oil drips anymore. I think the secret is just running a little less oil in it. He has 7000+ on it now.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:46 PM
brohrs
Road Captain

Almost any blowby is caused by over filling the oil. Use a tad less next change and it will stop.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:02 PM
trotp3
Intermediate

I just puchased one of those horse shoe oil breather kits from JP Cycles, they said it would fit my 02' & S/E set-up....but you know how that goes. There is a 1/4" gap between the carb throat and the air cleaner backing plate...a lot of the hardware it came with is wrong, needs to be drilled out or modified somehow.
I'm wondering if I should send it back, or try and make it work.
Has ANYBODY put one of these on, had a similar experience, or have any general words of wisdom on these kits??

help a brother out.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:05 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Try filling it to the halfway mark on the dipstick instead of to full and see if that cures it.

Quick Reply: oil breather problems