Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Turning Lamp Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 08:38 AM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Turning Lamp Question

I have a 2006 Sportster 883C. I wish to enable my rear turning lamps to glow all of the time and operate as the tail light. I bought the Harley turning signal conversion kit, thus changing the amber lenses to red and making those turn signal lamps secondary brake lamps. For safety, I would really like to have these lamps on all of the time. Is this possible? How can I do this upgrade?

Also, is it worth it to swap out the incandescent bulbs for LED bulbs?0

Thanks for your help.

Ride safe.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:51 AM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Default RE: Rear Turning Lamp Question

HD has two kit's out. One makes the turn signals function as aux brake lamps and turnsignals, the other makes them function as aux brake lamps, turnsignals, AND running lamps. You want THAT kit (the latter).

An LED lamp in the taillamp won't present any problems that I know of, however if you put them in the turnsignals, then you'll likely need a load equalizer since they're tied in with the front signals. Maybe someone here who's done it can verify this?

Old 06-18-2006, 06:45 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

ORIGINAL: XL OCD

HD has two kit's out. One makes the turn signals function as aux brake lamps and turnsignals, the other makes them function as aux brake lamps, turnsignals, AND running lamps. You want THAT kit (the latter).

An LED lamp in the taillamp won't present any problems that I know of, however if you put them in the turnsignals, then you'll likely need a load equalizer since they're tied in with the front signals. Maybe someone here who's done it can verify this?
XL OCD,

I've searched HD's website and can't find the "aux brake lamps, turnsignals, AND running lamps" kit. I need this kit also as the back of the bike has really low visibility at night. Do you by any chance know the part number of that kit?

Many thanks in advance,

Thumper26

Old 06-18-2006, 07:06 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior

I don't think it is actually in the catalog (yet). It's a new kit. I don't have the part number, because I've got the one without the running lamp function. The part number IS here in a thread somewhere. It's either on this site or xlforum.net. I'll do some research a little later and see if I can find it. I've got to go out to dinner w/ Dad now. [8D]

Old 06-18-2006, 10:48 PM
AZFlyingDiver
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the brake/run/turn module on my '05 Sporty and it makes a DRAMATIC difference in visibility. All 3 lights are on all the time, and all 3 brighten with rear brake application, and of course the turn signals work as well. The effect was effective enough (again, REALLY noticeable) that LED's didn't seem needed (in fact, I have a buddy with LED's for his tail light that are actually less bright than mine).

The kit number (HD part number) is: 69463-06
(Note: there is 68286-04 out there that also fits '04-up XL's, but it doesn't look like it has the running light feature.)

More details on 69463-06:
Auxiliary Brake Light/Turn Signal Conversion Kit
Turn signal module adds an auxiliary brake light and running light function to your existing turn signals for auxiliary rear lighting. red lenses glow when headlamp is on, and increase in intensity when brakes or turn signals are activated. Easy to install, the kit simply plugs into your existing wiring harness. Red turn signal lenses are included. D.O.T. approved. Red lenses may not be legal in all states. Check your local regulations.
#69463-06
Fits '04-later XL models.

It was 45.95 from my dealer. You can probably get it for less online.

I recommend it!!

Old 06-18-2006, 11:06 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior

Back from dinner - took Dad to The Macaroni Grill. Got Honey Balsamic Chicken - I'm freakin stuffed - yummy. Looks like AZFD did the research for me (thanks).

What we really need is a module that allows the turn signals to function as run/brake/turn signals, but turns the taillamp OFF until the brakes are applied. That way it'd have the same effect as the high mount stop lamp on cars. That would be the best of both worlds - better visibility while cruising, and increased noticability when stopping. Sounds like a job for Kuryakyn or maybe Custom Dynamics.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:47 AM
2Devious
Novice

If adding LEDs to all four turn signals, you will need to add an inline load resistors in order to get the signals to flash. Just ran into this problem this weekend. 'Least I do on my 95.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:11 PM
alexcue
Road Master

ditto what AZflyingdiver said the new kit is great. It got the wife seal of approval, she says it's much brighter and noticeable that without it ( i had the old kit, also).

Highly recommended

Old 07-28-2006, 11:45 PM
needaz
Cruiser

I have the new kit for my 04. Put it on this week. The rear lights are now red and function as running lights, turn signals, and brake.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:14 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure if this will work with the conversation you've already installed, but I put on the lighted mount kit. They are extermely visible. They are on as running lights, and then also brighten up with the brake light.LED lights work great.

You can see the mount kit I'm talking about here:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Quick Reply: Rear Turning Lamp Question