Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you retrofit a XB motor into a Sportster Evo XL frame?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:14 PM
ernofsteel007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Can you retrofit a XB motor into a Sportster Evo XL frame?

Hi folks, i gotta 1993 883 sportster i was running a 2001 Buell M2 Cyclone outta..... until one too many burnouts n just plain irresponsible driving kinda hollowed her out (man i have regrets).... well anyway my mechanic friends say shes too far gone and its cheaper to jus buy a new engine.... after looking around all i'm finding is Evo Buells in bad shape (i want the light flywheel) or reg Evo sportster and a boatload of 04 up XB engines selling cheap in new condition. i know the XBs don't have a trap door transmission and the only real upside is the chamber design but they are cheap, in plenty supply and ready to go like new....Can it be done??? please help i'm a welder so i can carve me frame if needed although i prefer not to

Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 AM
ernofsteel007
Road Warrior

anyone? well i hope someones knows

Old 12-30-2009, 07:23 AM
malla1962
Advanced

google is your friend.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:27 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

To be honest, you need to ask that question HERE. There are way more Buell and Sportster motor builders there.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:46 AM
ernofsteel007
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
To be honest, you need to ask that question HERE. There are way more Buell and Sportster motor builders there.
nope just looked, the sites mainly got XB parts to XL motors and what i already done in swapping my Evo 883 for a Evo buell 1200, but nothing on retrofitting a XB to XL frame.
I'm a welder and i know i could just chop the bike neck off an slap that onto a new frame but thats alotta work whether i build one from scratch or jus buy a 04 up frame, doing hopefully just some mount mods would be my plan.
i'm real happy with my current frame and just want a heads up before invest that kinda dough, i can't possibly be the sportster retrofit trailblazer and i hope the right eyes see this post

Old 12-30-2009, 09:01 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

On the site I posted, Contact (PM him) "aswracing". His name is Aaron. If anyone would know the answer....he would.

Good Luck

Old 12-30-2009, 06:04 PM
ernofsteel007
Road Warrior

anyone else know something? XLforums sux a big c--k for this question and most others too (alotta BSers and crybaby rats over there)
maybe i'll go the buell forums they're the most hardcore HD chopper guys around... they'll probably think i'm crazy for not just going all out chopper insteada tweeking a stock frame.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:37 AM
ajh
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XB in Xl

I know for a fact that the engine castings are vastly different between the XB and the XL engine that you have. Looks the same from a distance, but the mounts are completely different. The Xl you have attaches to the frame in the rear with 4 bolts, the engine mounts up against a flat plate section of the frame.

The Xb is completely different, all due to the aluminum frame / swingarm. The rear engine casting does not have that 4 bolt pattern, nor the plate, nor any of the tried and true rigid XL mounting. Due to the aluminum swingarm, the XB uses a very large swingarm pivot bolt that threads into the engine case, then is pinched in place.

Basically the XB is such a different animal that you need to stay away from these engines for a direct swap, and it would be near impossible without massive fabrication. Look on ebay for complete XB engines and examine the rear mounting, there's no section for the 4 bolts, but there's this boss sticking out towards the rear wheel with a large hole in it. That's the right side pivot bolt hanger, and this is where the pinch bolt lives. The large tapped hole for the threaded pivot bolt is on the primary side and under the starter.

The front is equally as different, the XL uses 2 long bolts that go through the frame and engine. The XB hangs from the heads and no provisions for those 2 bolts.

The late rubber mount XL's are the same deal (2004-up) , completely different front and rear mounts, they mount in large rubber pucks.

You can interchange some of the other engine parts easily, but the cases were all made specific to the frame. Sucks but the HD part is what you need since they always sell for more $$$ than the Buell engines. There were many many more rigid EVO sportsters made than all the Buells combined, so there's a much larger market for complete engines for XL's.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:07 PM
Wetwork
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice!!!

I am currently looking at buying an xb12 myself and swapping the engine out in my '90 sportster 1200. I understand there will be some fabrication worked involved, but I am curious in the engine mount modifications you made. Could you help me?

Old 11-28-2015, 04:06 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Quick Reply: Can you retrofit a XB motor into a Sportster Evo XL frame?